Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Duplicolor Vinyl/Fabric Spray (UPDATE)

While cruising Craigslist I found a set off older mustang seats. The guy said they were from a 1993 Cobra and should bolt right in but I plan on using my factory tracks. He only wanted $100 so I got them. Since they didn't match my interior I started doing research on fabric dyes or paint. An old hot rod guy that I work with said he has used Dupicolor Vinyl/Fabric Spray for years and told me to give it a try. He said the the key to using the stuff is to rub it into the fabric after the first misting which will allow it to bond to the fabric better. I decided to take his advice but I rubbed in every layer that I put on the seats. This stuff sticks to the vinyl so good it's amazing. You must be careful on the fabric part because if you get to close you will start to get some thick areas. You have to gradually build up with layers to get darker. Since my mustang is only a weekend car, maybe my dye attempt will hold up till I can get them recovered the right way. I also plan to make the piping around the seats red just for a personal challenge.:D We'll see how that goes.

How I did it:
-Mask
-Gloves
-Spray gun handle for rattle can
-Clean all dirt and grime off seats then vacuum
-4 $7 cans Duplicolor Vinyl/Fabric Spray
-Soft brush to rub in spray

before

after

Seats are in

This pic is just for the heck of it. My father in laws Lightning

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will post pics when I get them installed. Still not sure on if I want to do the red piping or not.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I am now on the hunt for the halo headrest to top it off. I think this will be a cheap quick fix to make up for the 99-04 mustang seats that let you slide all over the place.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
thats what you call those headrests? thats whats in my friends 97 roush i was always wondering why the headrests were different

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the seats in yesterday and so far so good. only time will tell if this stuff stays on but it didn't cost me much to do it, so that's a plus.

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
Wow, I REALLY like those 2-tone seats in that fox. And yeah, those headrests will look good too.

The same paint works on both fabric and vinyl? crazy. Let us know if you get in with wet clothes and end up darkening them or anything.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, I REALLY like those 2-tone seats in that fox. And yeah, those headrests will look good too.

The same paint works on both fabric and vinyl? crazy. Let us know if you get in with wet clothes and end up darkening them or anything.
Yeah my plans for the seats are to 2-tone them red in the front and black on the back in the same way those are in the pic. I know I can find the halo headrest on ebay for $180 but I'm looking for a bargain...lol. I pray that dye doesn't run like mascara on a rainy day. I kept my factory seats just in case.

·
Registered
689 Posts
that looks really great bro. let us know how it holds up. my leather seats are torn up and i prefer cloth anyway so u dont slide around. this would be a much cheaper fix, just buy some old fox seats and spray them black. did they mount straight up to ur factory brackets?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that looks really great bro. let us know how it holds up. my leather seats are torn up and i prefer cloth anyway so u dont slide around. this would be a much cheaper fix, just buy some old fox seats and spray them black. did they mount straight up to ur factory brackets?
I was lucky that the guy left the factory brackets on the seats so they just bolt right in to the floor, but yes they match up to the factory brackets. The only problem you will have with the factory brackets on your stang is when it comes to the driver seat. You will have to add sum washers to bring the new seat level with the bracket because the factory bracket has a hump on it. That hump wont let you mount it level.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OP, I've thought about using this product, just wondering if it stinks at all or rubs off on clothes, crunchy at all on the frabic?
It smells just like typical rattle can spray. After I finished spraying them they sat for about a week in my shed so I really don't notice a smell. So far it has not rubbed off on my clothes but they have only been in for a day of riding. I rubbed in every coat that I sprayed on with a soft upholstery brush so there would be no lose layers of paint(at least that's my theory). The seats do have a texture to them now but nothing too bad. They were a kind of tweed anyway so it's not that much more stiff than before.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks for all the compliments folks!!! The crazy part about this spray is that it covered the vinyl part so well that you can't tell it's spray. If you click on the pics to enlarge the one with the vinyl side showing, it's not spotted or anything.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Haha, you know, my other project aside from my mustang is a corvette. I'm restoring a 1987 C4, and I came within an inch of buying a mess of plastics and vinyl pieces of the interior. That is until i turned the TV on horsepower tv and saw them using this paint. :) works awesome, parts look new.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Nice job bruh! Looks a lot better, and it goes well with the rsd. Are those covers on the headlights? Ive got em on mine and I love them...Nice looking car....and lightning!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice job bruh! Looks a lot better, and it goes well with the rsd. Are those covers on the headlights? Ive got em on mine and I love them...Nice looking car....and lightning!
Thanks man! Yeah they are light covers with several coats of paint on them...lol. Their just for show.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Oh ****, theyre painted...Looks good! Mine are almost as dark, but no paint, just dark covers. You can actually see to drive with them on at night.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh ****, theyre painted...Looks good! Mine are almost as dark, but no paint, just dark covers. You can actually see to drive with them on at night.

The Cobra is sitting pretty. I always take them off before it gets dark out. So far it hasn't been a problem with cops or anything.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts