Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into a tuner/CAI package and was wondering what the difference between the octane level tunes. I tried a few searches but didnt have good results (mostly people saying they have 87/89 now and are looking into jumping to 93).

Locally (at the citgo stations anyway) our lowest octane is 89 (also 90/93) unless you go to a bp/shell where its 87/89/93 (some are 92).

I would like to save a little at the pump and was wondering how much of a difference there is between the 89 and 93 tunes? (do they all make an 89 or just an 87 tune?) I figure if I can pump 89 at the lowest, and they make a tune for it, may as well run that. If it loses serious power, I would pay the extra .20 cents a gallon!

My goal with bolt ons is 290-300 hp with as much torque as possible (330 would be nice!) I am trying to do as MUCH research as possible so I dont have to spend money twice! This will be on an 08 GT with a manual (im shopping for it right now :) )

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
300whp will be easy! with bamachips you can get 3 free tunes with the combo so you get get each octane if you want. when you want to save some money just throw in the 89 octane torque tune and when you want to go balls out throw in the 93 race tune. you will definately notice the difference! i have an 89 performance, 89 torque, and 92 race tune.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have brenspeed and Bama tunes.I always go back to Dougs tune IMO better throttle responce plus I get a bit better MPG.His 93 race tune is really good but thats just my 02.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just noticed the bottom of their page(bama) where he explains the differences. Seems like maybe an 89 torque, a 93 performance and a 93 torque tune? (or maybe an 89 performance in place of the 93 torque?)

I am coming from an SVT focus (150 whp 135 ft/lbs with FULL bolt ons) so I want all the torque the GT can give me!

If anyone has dyno'd (same day, same mods) the difference between an 87/89 and the 93 that would be mega-helpful! If its only 2-3 hp 2-3 ft/lbs I wouldnt have a problem sacrificing that to save 3.00 per tank full.

*edit*

Shawn13: Do you run the race tune for DD on the street? Fuel economy will be nice, so I will go through doug if I can get better fuel economy/throttle response.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yes I use his race tune as a DD. The tourq. tune I did not notice any diffrent from the performance tune. I got 93 race.89 perf.91 or 93 tourq.I dont remember now.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
i use my race tune for DD, i get 24 highway and 18city. with torque tune i get 27 highway and 20city. i doubt if anyone dynoed their car with all three different octanes.

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
I am looking into a tuner/CAI package and was wondering what the difference between the octane level tunes. I tried a few searches but didnt have good results (mostly people saying they have 87/89 now and are looking into jumping to 93).

Locally (at the citgo stations anyway) our lowest octane is 89 (also 90/93) unless you go to a bp/shell where its 87/89/93 (some are 92).

I would like to save a little at the pump and was wondering how much of a difference there is between the 89 and 93 tunes? (do they all make an 89 or just an 87 tune?) I figure if I can pump 89 at the lowest, and they make a tune for it, may as well run that. If it loses serious power, I would pay the extra .20 cents a gallon!

My goal with bolt ons is 290-300 hp with as much torque as possible (330 would be nice!) I am trying to do as MUCH research as possible so I dont have to spend money twice! This will be on an 08 GT with a manual (im shopping for it right now :) )

Thanks guys!
Um your not going to be anywhere near 330rwtq with any tune. With brenspeeds 93 tune i was at 310 and 316, but that was with an xpipe and with underdrive pulleys. The xpipe does make a difference though plenty of people will say it doesnt, but its good for a few hp.

As far as difference in hp from one octane to the next. the best answer i could give you is that from a ford racing 91 tune to a brenspeed 93 tune i gained 7 hp and a little tq, i cant remember the number but its in my garage.

the brenspeed tune was considerably leaner then the ford racing. and that 7 horsepower was all up top, the gains started at about 5100 or higher. lost a little down low, dont know if thats a octane thing or just a difference in the brenspeed tune.

As for the 330rwtq you want, i got a long tubes with x pipe, cams, delete plates, underdrive pulleys, 93 tune, cai, and im only at 335rwtq.

if you want to spend money once just have the dealer put the 400hp whipple on your gt, keep your warranty and call it a day.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya I stated I was looking for at least 300whp and as much torque as I can get, WITH bolt ons/tune. I wouldnt expect those numbers with just a tune!

I have seen the sigs of a few members with the basic bolt ons (h or X pipe, maybe UDP's, CAI/Tune) That are 220-230 wtq. What did your cams do to your torque/curve? I am going to be putting a blower on, but not until much further in its life (probably 30k miles) so I probably wont be doing cams/headers.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
Ya I stated I was looking for at least 300whp and as much torque as I can get, WITH bolt ons/tune. I wouldnt expect those numbers with just a tune!

I have seen the sigs of a few members with the basic bolt ons (h or X pipe, maybe UDP's, CAI/Tune) That are 220-230 wtq. What did your cams do to your torque/curve? I am going to be putting a blower on, but not until much further in its life (probably 30k miles) so I probably wont be doing cams/headers.
thats not right, are cars come with way more torque then that stock.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not shure how the numbers are on mine, as I just installed it tonight. All I can say is wow huge diff in my sleepy auto.

I couldn't help but notice you are in IL, with the lowest octane of 89 in your area is it E85 if so you need to talk to all tuners and take that in consideration. I read somewhere that a shop in IL or IA was specializing in E85 tune with the Diablo and having good results.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info guys. Nice dyno 07. Did that include a CAI? (im assuming it did, you just didnt list it?). And were you asking me if I would be going from stock to the tune? if so, then yes. I want to get all my ducks in a row so when I take delivery of a car so I know exactly what I want and dont go blowing money on impulse parts that will overlap (or make me spend money twice!).

Black_07: We do have E85 all over the place, but I hadnt even considered it. It would be nice being that it is as low as 2.65-2.75 a gallon, where as low octane regular fuel is 3.25+. Up until this point I was just thinking normal gas, but if tuners are having good results with the E85 I would certainly consider that!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I couldn't help but notice you are in IL, with the lowest octane of 89 in your area is it E85 if so you need to talk to all tuners and take that in consideration. I read somewhere that a shop in IL or IA was specializing in E85 tune with the Diablo and having good results.[/quote]

WOW.. thats like talking voodoo :D. Ive heard of a few people making huge HP/TORQ from E85 on boosted or nitrous car.On a N/A car you will not see as much gain plus you will lose a few mpg.E85 has a octain rating of 100-110 W/ out testing it you dont know what you'll get.Im sure this will start some kind of war so im done, but you can find a lot of good info if you want.:tomato

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am curious on this E85, I live in Iowa, so it is availabe...i have an n/a vehichle. No tuner or anything on my car yet, but taxes comin back this week so i thought i would spend some cash on the basics for engine...I want the best performance tune off a flash tuner i can get in regards to the type of fuel...so which fuel should i be running? im not concerned about price/mpg, just how strong the vehicle will run. help a noob.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts