Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you can see the intake manifold spacer does absolutely nothing to hp or Torque <--- *cough*

Better low end power at the expense of high end. I'll take it.

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
were the dyno runs done the same day, back to back, same exact cool down method?

i can make a car gain 20HP on the dyno on the same day, just by letting it cool down good from a heat soak run.

different day, and weather conditions, ive see as much as a 100HP difference.

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You just won't let it rest. Intake spacers do work and have been proven to work time and time again for Machs. It did exactly what it was advertised to do. It added 2-3rwhp and 10lbs of torque. Check out 2003-2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Owner's Club & Registry Website and look up PHP Intake Spacer or Roy's Spacer and see what kind of results every Mach 1 is getting with a spacer added.

And my car ran better when it was warm.

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
You just won't let it rest. Intake spacers do work and have been proven to work time and time again for Machs. It did exactly what it was advertised to do. It added 2-3rwhp and 10lbs of torque. Check out 2003-2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Owner's Club & Registry Website and look up PHP Intake Spacer or Roy's Spacer and see what kind of results every Mach 1 is getting with a spacer added.

And my car ran better when it was warm.
you didnt answer my question, was it the same day?

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No it wasn't the same day. My last post was me saying I had problems putting on the spacer and had to wait because of the ice to get to a dyno.

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So you're saying that if I installed some LTs or heck even a bigger throttle body and gained 15 and/or 5 hp respectively, when both are known and proven to gain power, that the dyno is invalid because they weren't on the same day? Give me and everyone else a break.

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
wit that small of a gain, its not valid if you do it on different gains. you could have gained 15HP with that spacer, or you could have lost 15, theres no way of telling if its not on the same day.

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just for clarification you do know that I'm not talking about hp numbers here and that I was more happy with the torque gain. Here's a review that I got off of the Mach 1 Registry. It's from 2004 but the date shouldn't matter:

"May. 13, 2004)
Product: PHP Spacer

Paul's High Performance - Spacer

PHP IntakeSpacerReview by Guest M1R Reviewer Steve Foley

The Paul’s High Performance intakespacerfor the Mach 1 is designed to increase runner length by increasing the distance between the intake cover and intake by means of a 3/8 inch spacer and gasket. This improves airflow, reduces restriction, and cools the incoming air charge. PHP reports gains of 4-8 RWHP/TQ with this spacer. The kit comes with an intakespacer, gasket and 5 new intake bolts.

The Mach 1 Review decided to put the spacer to the test at Apex Motorsports (www.apexmotorsports.com)in Santa Clara, CA. The Mach 1 used for this test has been modified with a K&N filter, 2 ½ in. Magnaflow high flow X pipe and 2 ½ in. Magnapack CAT Back. A baseline was obtained with these mods on Jan. 18th 2004 on the same dyno on a considerably colder day. The car also had its air box snorkel and MAF screen removed. The mileage on this car at the time was 7,000 miles. The mileage on the car at the time of the spacer test was 9,000 miles and the ambient temperature was much warmer. The air box snorkel and MAF screen was also in place at the time. The Mach 1 Review prides itself on reporting accurate and straightforward information, and that is why it has included the mileage/snorkel/screen difference on the test car.

The baseline dyno numbers were achieved with 3 pulls, and the results were a best of 285.9 RWHP and 295.6 RWTQ, both SAE corrected. The A/F ratio was a steady 12.5 throughout with a dip to 12.0 between 4,000 and 5,000 RPM’s. This RPM range also corresponds with the peak RWTQ numbers.

The spacertest numbers were achieved with 2 pulls, and the results were a best of 289.0 RWHP and 310.4 RWTQ. The A/F ratio was also a steady 12.5 for most of the pull, with a jump to 13.0 between 3,400-3,800 RPMS’s and a dip to 12.0 between 4,000-5000 RPM’s.
Overall the gains were 3.1 RWHP and 14.8 RWTQ. The RWTQ gains were highly welcomed, as the car seemed to have lost some low-end torque after the install of the high flow x and cat back.

Overall the installation takes anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour depending on mechanical aptitude and experience. The shaker must be removed and it is highly recommended that the EGR assembly be removed as well, as this enables you to completely remove the upper intake. Others have tried installing the spacer without removing the EGR and this only allows you to lift the upper intake so far, causing you to slide the spacer and gasket in place. This leaves you to guess on whether or not it is properly aligned and in place. The kit comes with 5 intakebolts that are longer than the stock bolts. 2 bolts must be re-used, one that holds the throttle linkage mount and the other that is directly across from the throttle body. Simply remove the shaker/EGR valve, unbolt all 7 bolts from the intake spacer and lift the upper intake up and off. Place the spacer on top of the existing gasket and place the new gasket on top. Re-install in reverse order and there you have it.

While the Mach 1 review doesn’t like to subscribe to “butt-o-meter” results, the PHP spacer is definitely a seat of the pants mod. The Mach 1’s 32 Valve motor wakes up at 3,500 RPM and with the PHP spacer the car seems to pull harder from that point on and more low-end torque is definitely felt through the gears. No stalling issues arose from the installation of the spacer which seems to be common among other intake modifications."

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
what im getting at is you cant come on here and say hey, i gained XX HP, and XX TQ from the spacer, when you didnt do it on the same day. it would be alot different if it were something that adds more like 20+HP. you can have a 2-3HP difference in 2 runs with the same exact cool down time, oil viscosity can vary 2-3HP, way to many factors to say YOU definently gained that 2-3HP considering the surcomstances, im not saying you couldnt have gained the power, im jsut saying you can say for sure since it wasnt dyno'd the same day.

·
Forever in our hearts travis_afx
4,391 Posts
What did this cost, and how long did it take to install?

·
RIP Justincredible! God Speed
523 Posts
what im getting at is you cant come on here and say hey, i gained XX HP, and XX TQ from the spacer, when you didnt do it on the same day. it would be alot different if it were something that adds more like 20+HP. you can have a 2-3HP difference in 2 runs with the same exact cool down time, oil viscosity can vary 2-3HP, way to many factors to say YOU definently gained that 2-3HP considering the surcomstances, im not saying you couldnt have gained the power, im jsut saying you can say for sure since it wasnt dyno'd the same day.
This is true.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
What did this cost, and how long did it take to install?

They are about $100 shipped. I did mine in an apartment parking lot in about an hour. Really easy install and everyone who has put one on has claimed a hp and tq gain.

I had mine dyno'd before the intake spacer install and not yet since, so I don't know what I gained, but I am sure it was something. I think it's a great mod and well worth the price. Other's hate on it for unknown reasons...

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well this I can tell you, I can definitely feel a better response lower in the RPM band after putting it on. I know that HP can vary from run to run and in different days. But a jump from 311tq to 323tq while the hp stayed around the same numbers is hard to contest. If what you're saying is true then the torque should have only varied the same amount.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
you literally have to monitor a bunch of different specs to get the exact level of power gain, let the car cool down for an hour, let it warm up, dyno it, throw the spacer on, get it warm, let it cool down for an hour and then dyno it again under the same conditions, id imagine youd see some gains, but not much at all

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
different day, and weather conditions, ive see as much as a 100HP difference.
:bsyeah if youve been :booze. or if you dyno in cuba in july then dyno agian in alaska in december.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm not sure who's side I am on in this argument but when I got my nitrous installed they saw such differences as 40 hp on the same car same shot of n2o. Just different amount of times it was heated up and cooled down. I was pretty shocked.

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's simple math. If something starts at one number such as hp and tq and it varies from run to run the hp and tq will pretty consistently vary up and down by the same amount. So if I have 300rw/300tq and it varies up and down by 3 then the hp/tq will go up and down by roughly the same amount.

However, when I put on the spacer the hp and tq didn't vary by the same amount. The torque gain was considerably higher than the horsepower. That inconsistency shows that the spacer did in fact have some affect on the torque. Granted, it may not have had any affect on horsepower, although there probably was. Why do I think that? Because the more air you can get into the intake always increases horsepower. That's why there are such things as CAIs and bigger throttle bodies/plenums.

PHP's intake spacer is 3/8s in. thick. Roy over on the M1R makes thicker spacers that get bigger gains. He's had to make modifications to his car because his spacers get too big that the hood can't handle it. But he has said that for every 1/4in. you add, you gain roughly 10lbs of tq. Look it up if you don't believe me.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
it is a fact that 2 different days can get 2 different results, i am not trying to say thats incorrect. boosted cars are more sensitive to conditions than N/A or nitrous cars. it would take 2 toatally different days to get one car to make 100rwhp difference without tweaking on the car. there are variances, but 100rwhp, BULLSHIT!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts