Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I got an 06 V6 mustang. I have been looking around and I see E85 conversion kits for sale in the 300.00. well sadly there are only 4 gas stations in Utah that sell E-85 Fuel. so if I install a E85 Fuel, can I still run gas, or does that make it so my car can ONLY run E-85?

Has anyone done a E-85 kit on their mustang.? Will I lose power, or will it stay the same. some people say with E-85 you can actually gain Hp over gas..

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
youll loose power

In btu's It goes e85<10%ethanol< 100% gasoline making the most power

Youll need more fuel to make the same power

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the reviews say you gain HP since E85 is like 105 octane and gas is only 91 is highest. says you gain HP with converiting to E85. however you lose 10% MPG..

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
You dont gain horsepower simply because you switch fuels. The ability to run higher compression, or more boost, or advance your timing is what produces more HP. Raising the octane doesnt increase power, it simply allows you to make more power.

E85 doesnt release the same amount of energy per gallon burned that gasoline does, so you need to burn more of it, to travel the same distance, and make the same power gasoline does.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
youll loose power

In btu's It goes e85<10%ethanol< 100% gasoline making the most power

Youll need more fuel to make the same power
you dont lose power??? wtf? where did you hear this?

You only lose if you keep the stock injectors. The kits come with bigger injector's though.

You see... to make the same power that gas makes, e85 has to have more pumped into the cylinder, resulting in less MPG, but who cares, E85 is much much much cheaper than gas... put into plain terms.

E85 runs anywhere from 105-109 octane. So you can run higher compression safer with a 105 octane tune.

·
Genibus Nitito Canus
2,947 Posts
like is it hard on ur engine

·
Registered
1 Posts
E85 and TURBO without intercooler.

Ok. So. Correct me if I'm wrong...but, you CAN run a turbo with E85, and not have to run an intercooler. I heard that the E85 burns cooler. I'm not planning on MASSIVE BOOST, just a small turbo on an '01 V6 Mustang. Many thanks in advance,

Eric.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Ok. So. Correct me if I'm wrong...but, you CAN run a turbo with E85, and not have to run an intercooler. I heard that the E85 burns cooler. I'm not planning on MASSIVE BOOST, just a small turbo on an '01 V6 Mustang. Many thanks in advance,

Eric.
You can always choose not to run an intercooler but that will not make much sense. With E85 you do not have to think about detonation because 85% alcohol mixture does not explode like gasoline does under certain condition. That means you can run significantly larger temperature intake charge and still not have knock. However, hotter the intake charge is lesser in density means you are getting less mass per unit volume. Remember flow is related to volume but chemical reaction in combustion is related to mass. So less mass off air means less power you make with same boost. Intercooler is a cheap way to make your engine more efficient and safe at the same time. In my opinion it will be impractical not to use an intercooler.

·
Registered
267 Posts
E85 should be considered a final step in the quest to make power.

E85 should be thought of inversely, with regards to it's tuning properties, when compared to conventional octane gasoline.

Briefly, let's discuss the basics. Octane is considered a detonation retardant, so the higher octane, the less likely it is to detonate under higher operating temps (vis a vi boost, compression ratio) In this instance, while the octane rating can remain the same, the addition of ethanol (10% ethanol) can inhibit the effects of the implemented octane, as it is a diluting agent.

Conversely, E85 has two priming effects for higher horsepower applications. E85 burns cooler, which allows to add more timing than you would with conventional pump gas, and generate more power.

Contrary to what you might believe, E85 has a lower BTU content than gasoline, significantly less as seen here: Gasoline gallon equivalent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
E85 has a btu content of 81,000BTU/Gal whereas gasoline has a BTU content of 114,000BTU/Gal, so we can go ahead and dispel that myth. This is why you MUST run larger injectors with E85 to make the same power, not to mention more. You will also find that in E85 applications your mileage is decreased to about 2/3 of what it was on pump gas, again, due to the lower BTU content.

So do you need to run an intercooler with E85? No. Should you? Yes. E85 isn't a cheap replacement for an intercooler, and it would be a foolish application if you're not completely maximizing your engine setup and fuel delivery prior to the implementation of E85. Our fuel systems would seem to be generally tolerant of E85, if it weren't for our fuel pump, fuel filter, and some of the smaller plastic fuel lines, which I don't imagine would tolerate the higher alcohol content for a long period of time. These of course could all be changed as they fail, however, I prefer preventative maintenance over reactive maintenance.

Lesson learned? Get an intercooler, optimize everything else, then get E85. I understand some things can be far less sexy than doing the big target, big hype stuff, but it's a far wiser approach. What's more sexy, more boost or reducing weight in the car? Well everybody wants more horsepower, but you spend an extra $1000 for those extra 30 horses, or you could simply cut the weight of the car by a manageable 200 lbs. More traction? Same idea, cheaper and more effective than extra horses, especially when trying to deliver the new power.

Optimize, then add.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts