Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
No longer Maching out...
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm just asking something I'm unsure of. I was told that E-85 was safe to use in our cars due to the fact that it is safe and has a higher octane count than regular gas. Call me stupid but I was just wondering if this would work. I just didn't feel like putting it in my car and screw something up. I may be completely wrong but I'm just going with what I was told. I thought this might be a decent thread considering gas prices are a little bit high right now. If I'm wrong then I just made a completely useless thread.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Hey guys,
I'm just asking something I'm unsure of. I was told that E-85 was safe to use in our cars due to the fact that it is safe and has a higher octane count than regular gas. Call me stupid but I was just wondering if this would work. I just didn't feel like putting it in my car and screw something up. I may be completely wrong but I'm just going with what I was told. I thought this might be a decent thread considering gas prices are a little bit high right now. If I'm wrong then I just made a completely useless thread.

Thanks!
stupid.

it's "safe" as long as the proper fuel upgrades are made and the car is tuned to run off of it. you end up using about 2x as much fuel with it though, so even though it is fine to run you're still spending about the same dough as if you were to stay with regular gasoline.

there have also been some articles proving losses when using E85. if you're not running a super high compression motor or tons of boost there is absolutely no reason to convert to E85.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks!
Its not as simple as filling up with E85 and driving away. Mustangs are not flex fuel vehicles so they were never designed or more importantly programed to run on E85. You would need larger injectors and a larger fuel along with a tune to run E85.

E85 contains about 30% less energy per gallon than regular gasoline does so you will require a higher volume of fuel to run the engine. You MPG will drop though most people I know that use it haven't seen a 30% drop in MPG. In fact most have seen closer to a 20% decrease...much less than mell0 suggests. In the end the cost per mile comes out close to the same but that will vary by where you live.

It's not likely you will see any performance benefits though because without forced induction or higher compression you don't need the higher octane. In fact since lower octane fuel is easier to burn it is possible you could see a slight decrease in performance.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
You can't run it without making some changes to your fuel system and your computer's programming. It will end up costing about the same for fill-ups since you will have to fill up more often. And....like stated above, without higher compression or forced induction, it would be a waste of time since pump gas will get you basically all the power you can get out of your stock (pretty low compression) engine.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
the they said..dont worry about it without boost or a high CR.

·
No longer Maching out...
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol just wondering...I never thought about it until the other day...I didn't know what all the differences were but I figured there was a little more to it than just filling up with it haha

·
Registered
610 Posts
stupid.

i you end up using about 2x as much fuel with it though, so even though it is fine to run you're still spending about the same dough as if you were to stay with regular gasoline.
Edit: unless you go here on fridays:

(guy from another boards receipt from last week)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Where is that station at?! I know it's 2.60/gal for e85 here in Harrisburg and regular is 3.79 at least so it ends up costing the same price to run e85 as regular gas, it burns cleaner, and can pass emissions with an o/r midpipe. There is more to e85 than just 105 octane. I'm planning an e85 swap this summer after I get back from mustang week as I hope to have a high compression setup sometime soon. But I think it's worth it. And if you run spray with a stock block, you can probably squeeze some more power out on spray.

Also, if you want some more quality info(unlike "it takes double the fuel..." 30% does not equal 100% btw), visit the distillery over on svtp. Lots of great info over there!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I ran E85 for over a year. Depending on your power levels, you don't need to upgrade anything in your fueling system. All you need is a computer tune to tell it to run more fuel. Ur fuel pump and injectors just have to be able to flow about 20% more at part throttle and 30% more at WOT. So your gas mileage doesn't get cut in half. In normal driving it goes down about 20%. I was getting about 16mpg on it.

There is ton of power to be made with E85. If you can tune for it. Its approximately 105 octane. I was able to add tons of timing more with E85 than with 93 octane. Of course the biggest benefit comes when you run high boost or compression.

·
Registered
678 Posts
The good thing about higher fuel prices is that the government is starting to push ethanol again. With a little luck I can get an E85 pump home and work because the high compression NA engine I am building would really benefit from it.

·
Registered
617 Posts
With regular gas I get 26 MPG. With E85 I get 23 MPG. The E85 here in North Bama is 3.49 and regular is 3.79. Not worth running E85 for me. My '99 is a DD and I do a 126 mile round trip every day.

·
No longer Maching out...
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just didn't know much about running E-85 in these cars...and I hope I'm not the only one who didn't know this, but thanks for answering the questions, haha now I'm gonna go kick the guy's ass who made me wonder about it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts