Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I bought my car the previous owner said the e brake didn't work. I took a look at it and saw that the wire that goes to the handle was torn. Does anyone know how I can replace it? What's the specific name for it? Price range?? Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Emergency brake cable. I had to replace mine a couple of years ago. I remember that I did have to remove the center consul for access. Mine is a 5 speed so my recollection relates to it.

There is, as I recall, a piece of metal at the end of the cable that slips into a mateing slot in the brake handle mechanism. Replacement is "easy". Just takes time.

If you have to remove the center consul the part around the gear shift is easy to remove if you know how. Once you learn how you will never forget. (Remember I am remembering a 5 speed set up. If you have an auto it may be different.) The plastic is shaped like a horse shoe. Grab hold of each side of the plastic back by the ash tray, push each side towards each other and pull it out. Then remove the screws underneath. There may be one under the ashtray, too. As well as inside of the armrest.

If the cable is simply frayed then I would think it should still work. It might just need to be adjusted. There is a part to do so. If the adjustments are fully extended then it may be that the shoes are worn out.

Check the cable system for completeness. Follow it back from the handle to it's next connection. Then on back to the rear rotors. If it is complete it might be the shoes themselves need replacing. And/or the related hardware.

I assume that a GT has disc brakes in the rear.?.?.? (Mine is the cobra model and so I am not sure. I would guuess that the GT had discs by then. Right?) If so I believe that the emergency brake shoes are inside of the rear rotors. Pop off the rear rotors and take a look at the shoes and hardware. Do the shoes have braking material?

Inspect the hardware. I would think that each side of the hardware should look the same. So, if one piece looks bent, or if there apprears to be something missing, compared to the other side you may have found your problem.

Who knows what a previous owner has done. They may have gotten deeper into the system than they felt comfortable and simply closed everything back up. Then told the next owner, "Oh, by the way, the E brake does not work."

And, as a reminder, never disassemble both sides at the same time. Leave one intact as a reference in case you forget how they go back together once you have taken one apart. I have had to walk around to the other brake for a reminder as to how a system reassembles more than once. But then, I have had to do brakes on cars back in the late 60's and early 70's when there were no disc brakes. Just shoe brakes.

If you need to I can probably get you a copy of the E brake scematic.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the great information. i do have a 5 spd and when i removed the center console i saw that the e brake cable was torn. You know the actual lever for the e brake, well it has like a swirl at the bottom holding the cable, well thats where its actually torn at. so you said that it follows all the way to the back, is that straight underneath the body or does it have a more concealed route?

·
Registered
17 Posts
thanks for the great information. i do have a 5 spd and when i removed the center console i saw that the e brake cable was torn. You know the actual lever for the e brake, well it has like a swirl at the bottom holding the cable, well thats where its actually torn at. so you said that it follows all the way to the back, is that straight underneath the body or does it have a more concealed route?
By "torn" do you mean completly severed? Or simply frayed?

As I recall, the cable goes back under the car. At some point there is a connection so that it is split to go to each rear brake.

And, if it is completely severed where it connects to the handle, I believe you will buy the section from the handle to the split.

I am relatively new here and do not want to step on any sponsor's toes. I am so new that I do not know who the sponsors are. This is a great site and the sponsors should be supported. However, because of my affiliation with another forum relating to Ford Superduty trucks, I have purchased parts from http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214072 in the past.

I do not see a drop down list at the top of this page for a list of sponsors, but I would recommend that you check out the sponsors here first. They are the ones who make this conversation possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts