Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm now really new to EFI. I know I can make a buck-load of power on EFI instead of those carbs. Tired of carbs, anyways I have an 89 Stanger LX with 3.55 gears, F-Cam and a new centerforce clutch and 5.0 HO I bought from craigslist. Personally, I think the f-cam stinks but the car does pull. Does the B303 cam have a nice choppy/rough idle and can it give me more torque in the mid-range?

I had a 5.0 GT a while back with a stock cam and this car makes a load of difference. But I feel the Fcam is not making what I perfer... NOTE: I'm not all into the sound although I love the choppy, bracket car sound. But I also like torque/HP too so if you can help me thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I wouldnt change out an alphabet cam for another. If your looking for a cam that gives you everything... or atleast a little bit of everything, a custom grind is your best choice.

Are you absolutely sure you want to switch to EFI? Carbs are cheap to maintain, and in some cases, easier to tune. EFI is expensive when you do it right, but you cant beat its performance and tunability when you have the cash to make it work.

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
comp cams makes a series now called "thumper" and another one called "mother thumper" that give great performance and you still get that old school choppy sound. I don't know if they make them for your application, but they are only a phone call away and can help you get exactly what you want.

·
Registered
123 Posts
There is very little difference in performance potential between EFI & carbs. You get more tunability & some reliability but at a much higher cost. Horsepower & torque are based on how much air/fuel you can put through the engine. The more you burn the more you get out.

The trick is to optimize a specific engines characteristics to the task you want it to do. The fuel/air supply's function is to supply enough mixture (CFM) to completely fill every cylinder at max RPM. The cam ultimately controls the peak power level, torque & horsepower curves.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts