Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The EPA is pushing fuels from renewable sources and has approved E15 for sale but the American Automotive Association is asking them to hold off. Apparently very few cars can use E15 without causing damage to the motors. Almost all manufacturers have stated that the used of E15 fuel will void their warranties and that they will not cover E15 damage. So if you are thinking about using E15 to gain a performance advantage you might want to reconsider.

Attached is the article.
Will E15 fuel damage your car? | Fox News

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I wish we could go back to just straight gas

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Me too. Actually, some scientists have said that ethanol creates more carbon emissions than straight gas.

Another thought, if they replace 91 and 93 octane fuel with E15 at the pump I'll have to get my car retuned. Its tuned for 93 octane gas.

·
Registered
647 Posts
dont we have 10 percent ethanol in our fuel already? i see a big sticker on every single pump in the area that says it contains a maximum 10 percent ethanol...

·
Registered
3,214 Posts

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
depends on where you go. By me, there are pumps of 93 that contain 0% ethanol

·
Registered
3,214 Posts

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If our cars are already able to handle ethanol, what damage would occur by putting a little more in the mix?
I don't really know. Ethanol is corrosive, perhaps the fuel system isn't design to for it. It is also less efficient so you have to run bigger injectors and be tuned for it. But, the article lists the manufacturers that will not cover E15 damage.

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
I dont fully understand this. Are they selling 93 gas with 15% ethanol or is it like E85 a separate blend? If its a separate blend how hard is it to just not use it same as you wouldnt use E85?

·
Premium Member
10,592 Posts
If our cars are already able to handle ethanol, what damage would occur by putting a little more in the mix?
Actually open the article and read, it gives a brief description of damage that could occur from switching to E15.
E15 could cause a host of issues for even newer cars, including misfires, increased emissions and costly damage to engine components like valve stems and cylinder heads.
Not all cars have the ability to handle ethanol (according to the article, only 12% have the ability to handle E15). If you think your car does, go throw E85 in it and see what happens (E85 is 85% ethanol, 15% gasoline). Unless your car engine has been designed to be able to run E85 (some newer engines can run both E85 and regular gasoline), it will ruin it.

I dont fully understand this. Are they selling 93 gas with 15% ethanol or is it like E85 a separate blend? If its a separate blend how hard is it to just not use it same as you wouldnt use E85?
They want to start selling gas with 15% ethanol. Basically, almost all (there are some exceptions) gas currently sold contains up to 10% ethanol. This is how everything currently is right now. There's usually some sticker that marks the pumps and says the gas can contain up to 10% ethanol. They're going to change it so that gas can now contain a maximum of 15% ethanol. A new sticker would be required that says contains up to 15% ethanol.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I believe they want to sell all gas with 15% ethanol

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Bo Baustin
13,134 Posts
I can't wait until its all E50. That way if I ever bought a 67 fastback I would have to spend a good chunk of money getting it to run on the ****.

Its a brilliant way to kill off old cars, get rid of whatever they run on.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
I can't wait until its all E50. That way if I ever bought a 67 fastback I would have to spend a good chunk of money getting it to run on the ****.

Its a brilliant way to kill off old cars, get rid of whatever they run on.
I'm afraid gasoline will be gone and not sold in 20 years, what will our cars run on. :(

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
I'm afraid gasoline will be gone and not sold in 20 years, what will our cars run on. :(
That's what i'm thinking
Wtf?

03cristian

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
The damage can and will occur due to the combustion differences and tollerances in the fuels, you had might as well put diesel in your car as you will get the same result. The only fix for this is a retune, upgrade fuel components, and manufacturers utilizing ethanol compatible rubbers. older rubbers actually deteriorate and crumble internally causing injectors to clog and fuel lines to collapse in on themsleves This is why alot of older boat motors and small engines were failing. I have torn down my fair share of them... The motors themselves are perfectly compatible its the fuel systems, and tuning that make them non compatible. I do not see this fuel grabbing ahold any time soon as 90% of cars cannot run on the junk. I look closer at who ive been voting for lately to see where they stand with our fuel issues.

·
Carving corners
3,328 Posts
dont believe the hype there is more oil out there than you think. I believe saudia Arabia supply will be gone in 20 years but not whats out there. The US has a bunch its sitting on,
Venezuela, who unfortunately despises us and wont trade with us, has a gold mine of it. Also the I believe the US has the most CNG which is also a known fuel to propel our mean machines, ,its also the cleanest.

Heres one of many articles of its capabilities Natural Gas Hot Rod Is VERY Green, Very Fast

and another

http://www.lowonfuel.com/auto-news/roush-propane/

there every where, I don't think we'll be running out anytime soon.

Also there was a team that figured out how to turn trash into fuel but the gov wont fund it due to us actually burning through all our trash in less than a few years. Gives you an idea of how much fuel american consumes.

There also is algey that its byproduct is ethanol, fuel will always be around we depend on it to much.

Also this whole ethanol thing is nothing new, Brazil has been running its vehicles on it since day one using ethanol from sugar canes. Its old technology so is CNG but what it all comes down to is who has the most financial influence towards the consumers market. Money is Power.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts