Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the 1 wire alternator from ebay for they're fox bodies? Its supposed to be 150 amp is it an easier install then the 94/95 3g swap? Or is this too good of a deal?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
I bought mine from ebay.

The only difference between the standard 94-95 alt and the one you posted, is they pre wired that plug. Well thats the way it looks to me. But i think your still going to need to splice in the green wire and run a new 4 gauge wire.

Regular 3g alts are easy to hook up. They use the same plug that our stock alt uses, you just need to get rid of the stock 8 gauge wire and run a 4 gauge

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought when u swap in a 94/95 alt i need the D plug? I have the plug which i bought at the junk yard. but i just get confuse when it comes to hooking it all up.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Your factory alternator already has the D plug. Its on the bottom of the alt.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Disconnect the black wire with orange stripe. Run a 4 gauge wire from the terminal on the new 3g alt back to the starter solenoid, dont forget to add an inline mega fuse 150-200 amp fuse will work. Cut the small white wire with the black stripe and connect that to the stator plug on the 3g alt. Remove the D plug from the stock alt and plug it into the new 3g.

You also may have to notch a small section of the altternator bracket unless you buy a small case 3g.

At this point.... you want to either wrap up your old 8 gauge wire so that it doesnt short out on any thing ( black wire with orange stripe) or cut it off at the solenoid.

In the picture below you will see that the volt regulator and the old 8 gauge wire share the same fuse link. Just nip the 8 gauge wire off right before the fuse link. Doing this will leave the volt reg hooked up to the solenoid.

My stock D plug hooked up to a 3g alt.... and the stator plug is the small one. This plug you will need if it doesnt come with your new alt

Power post..... hook up 4 gauge wire here

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
One wire is just that Ryan. No other wires used. It has an exciter built in, and you don't use the green wire. I have one along with every racer that I know, but theirs are not Mustang's.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,965 Posts
I never saw the point in using a one wire. The factory put a decent alt in already and when I upgraded to a 3G, it had more amps than I needed. I know a few guys that went through a few one wires before they got a good one. Like I said, just dont see the need, if its not broke, dont fix it. Lol. If you are wiring a race car from scratch, I could see it.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Im running a 140 True 1 wire

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I never saw the point in using a one wire. The factory put a decent alt in already and when I upgraded to a 3G, it had more amps than I needed. I know a few guys that went through a few one wires before they got a good one. Like I said, just dont see the need, if its not broke, dont fix it. Lol. If you are wiring a race car from scratch, I could see it.
The reason i want to upgrade from the stock alt is because i am running an electric fan and at night with the headlights on alone and my radio and blinkers on my battery gauge drops like crazy

And ryanw man thank you for all the great info its finally clear to me now lol i think i rather just go to the local parts store and get one with a warranty instead of the ebay one

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One wire is just that Ryan. No other wires used. It has an exciter built in, and you don't use the green wire. I have one along with every racer that I know, but theirs are not Mustang's.
So are u saying the alt in the pic is not a mustang one? So its not gonna work?

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
What does the green wire do any ways ? I thought it was for the gauge cluster.

Yellow = volt reg... is this correct
White = stator.... not sure what a stator is though
Green= exciter.... ??????

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
mine is a one wire, with a two prong plug how do i make the regular guage work?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts