Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:rockon:rockonOn eBay I just bidded on a Vortech V1 head unit that was used on a 01 Cobra. That will work for me right? All it is is the head unit with about 3k miles on it. I know it's just a V1, but I figured this will be good until I can go with a V2 T Trim next yea when I get a built bottom end.

Accually could be getting it pretty cheap. And my parents will get it for me as a Christmas present. Then I can start piecing my Vortech kit togeather.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
if it doesnt work out, let me know if you might be feeling getting a P1 that ive NEVER had a problem with!

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet man. Its almost over, only at $325! The thing I like about Vortech is, that I can go to superchargersonline.com and piece the kit togeather for $700. Comes with the air intake, discharge, mounting bracket, oil feed and oil drain. Then I was going to buy a TR-12 Treadstone Intercooler. I figured that would be a pretty sweet kit for about $1500. Lmao

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
go with the cxracing fmic

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
yeah superchargersonline have alot of Vortec items. But I am getting my mounting bracket for my P1 from them!

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
keep your gears.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sweeet I won the head unit. $325..Plus $50 for shipping. Im effin pumped!

Im not keeping my 4.10's. I will for a little bit, until after I get my car tuned and everything. But by April 2nd (first track day of the year) I will have 3.73's.

The top of 4th is 111mph (6k) on stock 25.6in tires. I really dont want my car to hit 6krpm under boost. Until I get a forged bottom end. Im definatley doing 3.73's, with a very conservative tune hopefully around 8lbs.

And as far as the CXRacing FMIC, Ive heard awsome things about Treadstone, plus the Tr-12 Intercooler is like $300. Supports up to 1000hp (allegedley) so Ill just do that.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
get taller tires? I and Bandit are running 4:10s with blower..ok well I will be not isntaleld yet haha. I with run 10psi and shifting at 6k....

You should make good numbers for sure! and congrats on the win!

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks man. I hope so, I can't wait. I would run taller tires, but even 28" tires dont make that much of a differance. Id rather just 3.73's. Its not a big deal. Just the gears ($180) Then my tuner will hook me up on the install. Probally around $200. Its cheaper or the same as buying taller tires if you think about it.

Whats a good size pulley 3.6? I want to keep it around 8lbs, I dont mind 10lbs but Im aiming for 8lbs

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Same head unit as the GT both have the CCW rotation. I have heard of rumors of the head units intended for the GT having a steeper internal step up ratio requiring a smaller pulley since the Cobra has a higher redline. Get the serial number and call Vortech but you should be fine. I would keep the 4:10's and raise the rev limiter to 6400-6500. It will be fine for the track only with a quaility tune from a an experienced tuner. The taller tire would help a good bit. Vortech's love rpm and steep gears.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
^he would know! :yes

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Same head unit as the GT both have the CCW rotation. I have heard of rumors of the head units intended for the GT having a steeper internal step up ratio requiring a smaller pulley since the Cobra has a higher redline. Get the serial number and call Vortech but you should be fine. I would keep the 4:10's and raise the rev limiter to 6400-6500. It will be fine for the track only with a quaility tune from a an experienced tuner. The taller tire would help a good bit. Vortech's love rpm and steep gears.
Really? Yea Ill get the serial # and call them.

Dont you think raising the rev limiter to 6400 will rape my motor? On stock valve springs and hurt the rods, espeically under boost. Cause Im not doing a shortblock untill Febuary of 2011 (tax return) And Im definatley not doing anything less than the MMR900 which is $2800. I wouldnt be able to buy that for a while or until tax return.

And just from watching your videos and numbers, and one other guy Ive seen with a Vortech GT made me go the Vortech route. lol

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
a 28" tire wouldn't make that much of a difference? it will probably make about the same difference as you going with 3.73's

x2 on jive. bandit trapped 115. said he didn't go too much over 6k. and your tuner is probably gonna raise your rev limiter to around 6500 anyway so that you don't hit the limiter and cut fuel

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea thats true. But Id rather go with 3.73's. I mean Ill have the 4.10's for a bit, Ill see how I like it but chances are Im not going to keep them.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Really? Yea Ill get the serial # and call them.

Dont you think raising the rev limiter to 6400 will rape my motor? On stock valve springs and hurt the rods, espeically under boost. Cause Im not doing a shortblock untill Febuary of 2011 (tax return) And Im definatley not doing anything less than the MMR900 which is $2800. I wouldnt be able to buy that for a while or until tax return.

And just from watching your videos and numbers, and one other guy Ive seen with a Vortech GT made me go the Vortech route. lol
Thanks

I ran the stock valve springs to 6400rpm and the rev limiter set to 6600 rpm's for years with s292 cams at 515 rwhp. I did how ever have a forged shortblock (MMR 900).

I also had the rev limiter set at 6500 when the motor was completely stock and bounced off it many times accidenlty. Just make sure the a/f is rich(adequate fuel setup), the total timing is low, and the intake temps are low. It's all in the tune.

The 96-04 GT's bottom end is basically the same thing as a 02 and down Cobra's and Mach one's which rev to 7k. Excluding the aluminum block. They all used cast cranks, cast pistons, and rods, even some GT's the 99-00's had 8 bolt cranks. Mach 1's had a 4v motor and the autos still used a 6 bolt crank..

You if you're still making power at 6400rpm then run it there. Then set the rev limiter to 6600rpm and shift at 6400. That way if you go a little over you're not always bouncing of the limiter. But with stock cams 6200 rpm will be about where the power drops. No need to spin it higher than you make power.

The main things are:
Good fuel set up
Good sparkplugs
Proper Maf
Great Maintance
Qualified experienced tuner
Good tuning software
THE Tune!!

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks

I ran the stock valve springs to 6400rpm and the rev limiter set to 6600 rpm's for years with s292 cams at 515 rwhp. I did how ever have a forged shortblock (MMR 900).

I also had the rev limiter set at 6500 when the motor was completely stock and bounced off it many times accidenlty. Just make sure the a/f is rich(adequate fuel setup), the total timing is low, and the intake temps are low. It's all in the tune.

The 96-04 GT's bottom end is basically the same thing as a 02 and down Cobra's and Mach one's which rev to 7k. Excluding the aluminum block. They all used cast cranks, cast pistons, and rods, even some GT's the 99-00's had 8 bolt cranks. Mach 1's had a 4v motor and the autos still used a 6 bolt crank..

You if you're still making power at 6400rpm then run it there. Then set the rev limiter to 6600rpm and shift at 6400. That way if you go a little over you're not always bouncing of the limiter. But with stock cams 6200 rpm will be about where the power drops. No need to spin it higher than you make power.

The main things are:
Good fuel set up
Good sparkplugs
Proper Maf
Great Maintance
Qualified experienced tuner
Good tuning software
THE Tune!!
Cool thanks for all the help man. Im going with the FRPP 42# Injectors w/ 90mm Lightning MAF. Aslong as the Lightning MAF doesnt peg, but I dont think it will.

Ill probally get the Aviator Fuel Pump, NGK TR-6 spark plugs, 180* Thermostat and conservative tune. Thanks again Jive

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Cool thanks for all the help man. Im going with the FRPP 42# Injectors w/ 90mm Lightning MAF. Aslong as the Lightning MAF doesnt peg, but I dont think it will.

Ill probally get the Aviator Fuel Pump, NGK TR-6 spark plugs, 180* Thermostat and conservative tune. Thanks again Jive
I've seen the lightning maf peg around 400rwhp. The super car gt pump is cheaper and bigger but a little harder to install. But it's not real hard from what I understand. The Aviator is a big pump comes with the pig tail new just splice and done. The SVT focus isn't much better than stock. Sure it's rated at 245+ but only at 40psi. The aviator will push over 271 at 60 psi. More flow

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ill use the Lightning MAF until it pegs, they Ill go with probally a PMAS Blow through MAF. Unless I can find a cheap Blow Through MAF that works good?

And Ill go with the Aviator fuel pump. Ive heard the Ford GT supercar fuelpumps dont fit in the basket?? Or something.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts