Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so on page 16 of the instructions, they want you to detach the 16-pin connector that is on the driver's side of the PCM and cut the red wire and hook it to the power wire of the intercooler's water pump. The instructions never state to connect the connector back up. Also, they didn't state to splice into the red wire for the intercooler water pump's power. So, now, whatever that red wire went to will not have power.
My questions are:
1. Is cutting that red wire and connecting the intercooler water pump's power wire while leaving the other end of the red wire disconnected correct?
2. Also, do they really want us to not connect the harness connectors back together? Because, whatever the other 15-pins go to won't be working any longer.
3. What the heck does this harness go to???
4. What did that red power wire go to? Did it go to the stock Charge Motion plates (which the S/C does not have)?

·
Registered
932 Posts
1) Yes.
2) Of course the harness gets reconnected. Not sure at which step - I'm 300 miles from my instruction manual.
3) Don't know.
4) Don't know that either, but everything is working. Maybe it goes to/from spare location in the fuse box?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks shanec! I figured that it should get reconnected. The directions just didn't state it. So, I was going to reconnect it anyhow and see how everything went for the first start up.
But, if anyone knows the answers to questions 3 & 4, I would definitely like to know. My curiosity is peaked!

·
Registered
932 Posts
I'm an electrical engineer.

I did not reconnect mine.

But I seriously doubt it will do any harm to reconnect it. Worst case you will blow a fuse somewhere and you can either replace the fuse with a higher value fuse or disconnect what you reconnected.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
got you beat shane:

my book is well i'll just say half a world away.

if i remember correctly the wire wasn't cut. all you did was use the power from it for the water pump. sorry i really can't remember how everything got hooked up. it's been a while since doing it

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK. Now I'm really confused. Here is the latest version of the installation instructions.
On page 16, the lower left picture, you can clearly see that they cut the wire from the connector. They didn't splice the intercooler water pump power wire into it judging from the picture and text on the page....
Also, I don't see where they say to connect the harness connectors back together.
So, now, I'm wondering if the intercooler water pump's power wire should indeed be SPLICED into the red wire on page 16 and also to connect the harness connectors back together???

P.S., this connector is on the driver's side of the PCM. So, I would imagine if someone that has an EForce installed, can pop their hood, and see if they just spliced into it or cut it and connected it the wire to the intercooler water pump's power and if the connector itself is reconnected.

Any help is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Nothing is spliced into the wire that gets cut on page 16.

I cut the wire, stripped the end of the wire NOT still attached to the PCM connector, and put that into the crimp connector supplied by Edelbrock.

What's on the other end of this yellow wire supplied by Edelbrock? I'll have to look under the hood - and I'm away from my car for a couple more days.

Try calling Edelbrock. They are really good at installation/tech support.

·
Registered
932 Posts
For your amusement...my notes on my installation...
Mustang Supercharger Shane's Drivel

Click on any picture there for a bigger picture.

There's a little bit there about the step you are on. I noted that the other end of this yellow wire goes to the relay that powers the water pump. Maybe it was pre-attached to the relay? I don't remember.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK. So that red wire is indeed CUT. I've seen where the yellow wire goes. It goes to the intercooler water pump relay (in my kit that part was a pre-made wiring harness (with the relay, water pump connector, ground strap, red power wire that connects to main fuse box, and the yellow wire).

So, does the 16-pin connector get connected back together, to at least complete the circuit for the other 15 wires were not tampered with? It seems odd to me that the other 15 wires don't go to anything important that I can leave it disconnected.

Sorry if I am being a PIA.

·
Registered
932 Posts
That harness that you unplugged from your PCM does need to be plugged back into the PCM. Doesn't really matter which step you do this as long as it is before the battery gets reconnected.

In case you ever need to reconnect that wire that you cut (like if you uninstall your supercharger) - make sure you cut it far enough away from that connector that you'll be able to strip that wire by the connector and re-splice them together.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It doesn't connect directly into the PCM. It's the connector that is fastened to the PCM bracket on the driver's side of the PCM.
However, I will still go ahead and reconnect it back together.
I already cut the wire, but I did leave enough space in case I need to splice it all together.

Thanks very much shanec! I gave you reps.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just pm'd you my email address. Feel free to hit me up with any questions. I just finished my install yesterday.

Steve.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Rob Simons, who designed the E-Force, told me over on the Edelbrock board that the other end of that wire in question doesn't connect to anyting. It is just 12V that isn't routed to anywhere so there was no harm in cutting it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks shanec. Swalt also said the same thing.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I'll shoot ya another tip ahead of time. When it comes to removing the coolant hoses from the firweall - juts yank the SOB's off with pliers. It is all but impossible to reach the little push-in tabs to remove the connectors gracefully.

On another installers advice, I finally just pulled them off with pliers. They did not break and they went back on later with no problem.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'll shoot ya another tip ahead of time. When it comes to removing the coolant hoses from the firweall - juts yank the SOB's off with pliers. It is all but impossible to reach the little push-in tabs to remove the connectors gracefully.

On another installers advice, I finally just pulled them off with pliers. They did not break and they went back on later with no problem.
My top hose came off without issue. The bottom put up a fight, but I used a screwdriver to push the tab in and yanked the bejesus out of it and it let go.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, I already ran into that. I seen the little gray tabs. They were just a bitch to depress. I was able to turn the hose slightly on the nipple, which also moved the tabs. Then, I was able to depress the little SOB's and get the hoses off the firewall.
By the way swalt, I did have an issue with the ETC extension harness. So, I went ahead and emailed them. Hopefully they will get me a new one soon. I figured maybe it was just me and if the throttle didn't act right, I was going to de-pin them both (where they are supposed to connect) and solder them together. But since you said that they had some bad batches, I emailed them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts