Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Qwik Enuff
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im currently not having any issues with my solenoid,but a member on another site is,so I wanted to get a answer on the topic below mainly to help her,but also for my own knowledge.
BTW- I already know how to wire the solenoid for a regular (86-91) starter and a mini (92-95) starter.I just dont know if anything is affected when reversing the wiring??
On my 91 LX,with a regular starter (not a mini starter) the 4ga positive battery cable and numerous small gauge wires are attached to the large post on the left side of the solenoid,if standing on the passenger
side when viewing the solenoid.The 4ga starter cable is attached to the large post on the right.The small gauge Red/Blue ignition switch wire is attached to the small post at the top of the solenoid.Now,lets say you remove all of the cables/wires from the solenoid and leave the solenoid mounted just like it sits currently.What happens if you put the 4ga positive battery cable & small gauge wires on the right side post and put the 4ga starter cable on the left side post?? Will everything still function correctly??

Does the solenoid work internally,like Ive described below??
When you turn the ignition switch to the start position,it sends 12volts through the Red/Blue wire (thats attached to the small post at the top of the solenoid) and that closes the contacts between the left side post & right side post,
sending battery voltage to the right side post,which sends voltage down the starter cable to the starter. If this is how the solenoid works,it seems like you could wire it either way,as long as the battery cable and small gauge wires are on one large post and the starter cable is on the opposite post?? Is this true or not??
Thanks for taking the time to read this and for any answers you might give.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Normally, yes, it works as you described. the two small terminals are connected to an electro-magnet. When energized, the magnet pulls up on a metal contact plate and the two larger posts then energize, power coming from the battery. Both large terminal should be able to handle the current load presented by the starter motor. Some newer cars have more complicated solenoids, but for your purposes, it should work just fine.

·
Qwik Enuff
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok,thanks for the input.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts