Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is wise on a gasoline engine, but on my diesel vehicles I have always bypassed and removed the EGR. Can I do this on my car, will it have any negative effects?

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
You can put an EGR eliminator on it. They run for about 20 bucks. It won't hurt a thing.

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Who makes this and where do I find it, with my truck it was pretty involved.

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
EGR recirculates exhaust gas into the intake, its basically to help the engine warm up faster with the warm exhaust gas. Im cant remember the other reasons. Without it your car gets cleaner ass and it reduces deposits in ur engine.

Dont you need the EGR to pass emissions if you car come with one stock?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Your EGR system recirculates exhaust gases back into the intake to lower combustion temp. so you do not produce NOx (nitrogen oxides... very bad stuff).

If you remove it your. Yes, it would help your engine to not produce carbon deposits. Thats one of the positives. The negitives would be higher emissions, less mpg, higher cobustion temps.

Just one more thing their is no performance gain on modern vehicles by removing you egr valve.

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not on gasoline powered vehicles, but on diesels it's a must if your want to make decent power.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Yeah, absolutely NO reason to remove EGR on a modern vehicle. When the engine is under load or at anything above about 1/3rd throttle, it automatically blocks off anyway. If anything, it will make your car run worse, and cost you some fuel economy while cruising.

Not all smog stuff is bad, some of it actually makes the car run more efficiently... umm, actually, the EGR is the only smog peice that I can think of that IS helpful.

·
Registered
311 Posts
all you need is a 1/8" piece of steel shaped like the egr adaptor plate bolted on to cover the hole in the intake....if you need the rgr for emissions just put a plug in the tube from your manifold until you need it..if not delete that as well...its simple to do...

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
You can make an egr restrictor gasket that will allow less in. I think on a N/A car thats the best and the most I would do. If you are gonna delete it, you will have to turn it off with the tuner as well
For boosted cars you definatly delete it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
You can make an egr restrictor gasket that will allow less in. I think on a N/A car thats the best and the most I would do. If you are gonna delete it, you will have to turn it off with the tuner as well
For boosted cars you definatly delete it.

I used one of these and got lower gas mileage:(

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
More power at wot but worse gas mileage in general.
Does someone have dyno proof of this? My understanding of EGRs is that they inherently close off when the engine is under load, so there should be no benefit at WOT with a properly working EGR versus a blocked off/disabled EGR.

Also, if you're gonna boost, shouldn't there be a one-way valve that gets installed? Else how are supercharger kits 50-state legal?

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
Does someone have dyno proof of this? My understanding of EGRs is that they inherently close off when the engine is under load, so there should be no benefit at WOT with a properly working EGR versus a blocked off/disabled EGR.

Also, if you're gonna boost, shouldn't there be a one-way valve that gets installed? Else how are supercharger kits 50-state legal?

As far a passing 50 state legal, there is a lot of grey area surronding what you can and can't do. I have only seen people block em off, and thats what I did when I put mine on my truck. No one way valve or nothing. Just pluged it and turned it off with the tune.

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
Heh, not in California there isn't. It's either stock, CARB approved, or illegal.

It has to pass there to 50 state legal so you tell me. if it wasn't then it wouldn't pass. They may get around it because they don't tell you to do it.

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
EGR is generally good. The only reason to remove it is to clean up the engine bay. EGR will get you better gas mileage (slightly) and reduced combustion temps. It is not used at idle or WOT, only part throttle driving. You may need to back out the timing in the egr areas of the tune because egr requires higher timing due to the lower oxygen content. There is 0 power gains from egr removal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts