Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im considering doing an EGR delete on my GT when i return stateside. I know its going to throw a check engine light until i have my tuner turn off the EGR system with his software, but until then am i going to have any drivability issues that i need to know about? Or am i just going to have the check engine light and the car will still drive normally? Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nothing really. just cleans up the engine bay a bit and makes it look less cluttered

·
Safud: MM's Resident Hadji
5,242 Posts
If you have a handheld you can turn it off without having to get a new tune i believe.
And here is a before and after pic of an EGR delete on my v6 (going to delete the egr on the cobra one of these days)

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My diablosport predator doesnt have the option to turn it off. they deleted that on the newer diablos. i have to take it to my tuner. Do you know if ill have any drivability issues until i have it turned off in the tune?

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
No real point to an EGR delete other than aesthetics. EGR is probably the ONLY emissions-related peice that does good - it increases your mileage under low load conditions and has NO negative effects on the motor.

I honestly don't understand why anyone gets rid of it, outside of being incorrectly convinced that "all emissions equipment == bad".

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
what is you EGR??
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (or Recirculator, or something along those lines).

At low load, it pulls some of the exhaust gas, including the unburnt fuel that makes it there, back into the intake. As soon as you get on it, though, it shuts off and only puts fresh air/fuel in the intake. It drops engine temps a bit, and gives you a small boost in mileage.

·
Boost gets you laid
2,625 Posts
i've heard of the EGR to cause "surging" on boosted applications though. i'm leaving mine on the car, but i'm going to try driving with it and then turn it off after a while to see if it makes a difference in mileage or driveability.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
i've heard of the EGR to cause "surging" on boosted applications though. i'm leaving mine on the car, but i'm going to try driving with it and then turn it off after a while to see if it makes a difference in mileage or driveability.
That doesn't surprise me; being that the EGR works on manifold vacuum, having boost in the system would make it all kinds of screwy. Rather than sucking exhaust back into the intake manifold, the EGR opening would allow the pressurized air to get pushed into the exhaust. It'd be an intake leak everytime the EGR openened up.

·
Safud: MM's Resident Hadji
5,242 Posts
No real point to an EGR delete other than aesthetics. EGR is probably the ONLY emissions-related peice that does good - it increases your mileage under low load conditions and has NO negative effects on the motor.

I honestly don't understand why anyone gets rid of it, outside of being incorrectly convinced that "all emissions equipment == bad".
Only reason i deleted was because i was installing an Eaton M112 and all the egr stuff is right in the way. Once i got the cobra and stopped putting money in the sixxer i put the egr back in :)

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
correct me if I'm wrong, but if the egr valve fails open - open all the time - then you car can 'sputter' at idle. At least that was a problem I experienced on my probe gt. Really cleaned up my idle once that 'fixed' :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts