Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the benefit of the EGR removal? Is this something that should be done on a DD? Current goals are to remain N/A with track useage in the future. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
there is really no benefit to it. it makes it easier for installing a windstar and it deleted with FI most of the time. I think it stops from recirculating some crap into your engine, but I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes anyway

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
Theres no real benifit for it. I sell them mainly to people who go turbo, s/c or swap the windstar on. but I can get a bracket or even VAP sells the bracket to keep the EGR with the windstar.
Another thing is generally a LOT of cars have codes pop up related to the EGR valve. either it goes bad or a vac line. its cheaper to delete the EGR valve and never worry about it rather then replace it

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Another thing is generally a LOT of cars have codes pop up related to the EGR valve. either it goes bad or a vac line. its cheaper to delete the EGR valve and never worry about it rather then replace it
I really wish i would have found the site sooner than I had. Cuz I would have deleted my egr, cuz i got a code and had to buy some sensor for the egr costed like 75 bucks. I am definatley deleting mine when I do my windstar also.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What is the benefit of the EGR removal? Is this something that should be done on a DD? Current goals are to remain N/A with track useage in the future. Thanks for the info.
EGR recirculates exhaust gases back to your intake to reburn them.(emissions). You probably wont notice a butt difference. But your engine will.
I removed mine. I did'nt want hot exhaust gas mixing with my cool intake charge.Plus removing tube on pass side makes it easy to service plugs and valve cover.You will pull a code.I'm getting SCT next week so i dont mind the temporary light.

·
I Eat Baby Stangs
3,928 Posts
The EGR isnt just to reburn exhaust gas, its to cool the combustion chamber to reduce NOX, one of the pollutants produced when the combustion chamber reaches 2500+ degrees.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The EGR isnt just to reburn exhaust gas, its to cool the combustion chamber to reduce NOX, one of the pollutants produced when the combustion chamber reaches 2500+ degrees.
Yes. It reduces burn temperature which reduces NOx formation.

There could be problems from deleting EGR due to higher burn temperatures,
e.g. preignition. I suppose if you can modify the tune it can be compensated for.

Also in some states the car will not pass emissions testing with EGR deleted.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
THanks for the responses to my thread about EGR. Now I am interested on the Windstar kit. Now it's time to save even more money for upgrade.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
The EGR only opens at partial throttle, low rpm, and it increases fuel economy. The only reasons to remove it are aesthetic.

EDIT: And when you're getting boosty.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So with my goal of staying N/A I can just leave it. That windstar kit from VAP looks like a nice set up. Would this set up require a reflash of the computer? You hear so many opinions. What mods actually require a reflash? Tuner or Dyno session?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry I found another thread with a post from Trick Tuners with some answers, but still not sure if the windstar kit needs a reflash?

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
I don't belive you do. Your just changing your upper intake's geometery so no reason to re program the ECU.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
i would not think that you would neccisarily need to reflash your computer. it cant hurt tho cuz you will make more power.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts