Modded Mustang Forums banner

Electric Exhaust Cutouts

13K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  JBlack16 
#1 ·
Hey all, have a newbie on hand!

Anyway, my sister is thinking about buying a Mustang and after hearing the cutouts on my friends GTO, My sister would like to have them! The Mustang is a Bullitt. She is just looking for the sound, nothing performance wise. Is it worth getting cutouts if the car is completely stock?!

Few other questions I have is what brand should one get? I was thinking DMH because can't pass up a 4 year warranty! What size of cutouts should one get or should one get the low profile cutouts. Are there any fitment issues at all?

Thanks for helping me out!

#11 ·
Sorry i wasn't clear..The midpipe is 2.5". I would assume a 2.5" pipe welded off the side would work, but the guy who did mine did 3" piping off the side, or at least that's what size the flange is. Mine are manual, so theres a pipe off the side, then a flange which I can cover or uncover to get the same effect. The setup I have would work with the cutouts I posted.

Summit Racing 05-0021 - Summit Racing® Exhaust Cutout Pro Packs - Overview - SummitRacing.com
That is the kit you should buy.
Mine looks like that except I don't have the electric part, I just take those covers off on my own when I want it because I don't want the ridiculously loud open headers all the time

#12 ·
Why have manual cutouts though, when you can flip a switch to close or open them anytime you want? Then you won't have to go underneath the car each time.

My main question is to everyone, what brand would you recommend? DMH?

BTW mell0, I can't stop listening to your in car video of your push button start! Sounds amazing hearing that Procharger

#13 ·
Go with Summit they make awesome racing equipment. Also it depends on how much money you want to spend for Manuel or Automatic cut-outs. The electric cut-outs are going to be more expensive to get installed cause they have to run the wiring through your car.

#14 ·
FYI tell you sister that her car will sound nothing like that GTO and she might be totally dissatisfied with the sound. These mod motors sound nothing like a push rod engine and can be known to sound like ass with cut outs

#16 ·
That is one thing that I was worried about, it may or may not sound the same. It is a Bullitt Mustang. I found a video of a Cobra on youtube. It sounds pretty good to me, but I am not sure if anything else is done to it!

As you can see, I am trying to as much research as possible. I don't know if she would be better off getting a whole new exhaust or cutouts? I am sure she doesn't want it loud all the time, wants to be able to flip a switch when she wants it quiet.

#15 ·
^I'm with F8L, I ran straight pipes on my car all the way out the back, they were so high pitched they hardly sounded like a muscle car. But if you want to roll around Nascar status, go ahead.

#17 ·
the bullitt will sound nothing like that cobra also just so you know. 2vs are in a class of their own

#23 ·
if she just wants a cheap exhaust setup that sounds good and is street legal. Go to a muffler shop and tell them to cut out the rear cats (there's 4) and weld in straight pipes. It cost about $25 per pipe. And itll b louder but not sound like ****, and if its not loud enough then buy sum new mufflers. But those cutouts are way too loud

#25 ·
The difference between manual and automatic is about $250+ then labor if you're not doing it yourself lol. I know I'm not using it other than to show off every once in a while so the money wasn't worth it to me. You're better off manual unless you've got money to blow, she's not gunna want that sound all the time, I'm telling you

#28 ·
#26 ·
Open headers on a 2V sounds better in that video than in person, I'll admit to that.

I started my car open headers once, threw up twice, and then put the offroad midpipe and dumps back on it.

#27 ·
my mid and dumped bassani's are back on :) the turn downs didnt last long. the only time it sounded good was when revving it up to higher rpms, once you let off the gas it sounded like complete ****

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.