Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to have a flex fan that came off the water pump pulley that pulled air in and cooled the motor. But the fan was just so loud, could hear it almost over my engine. So i got an electric fan and took the flex off. Seems to be running fine. Temp is normal.

The flex fan pulled air in towards the motor but the electric pulls air away from the motor out the front of the car through the radiator.

Which do you all prefer a Flex fan or an electric? And pls tell your own opinions on upsides and downsides with both.................

·
Registered
248 Posts
vivoronte said:
I used to have a flex fan that came off the water pump pulley that pulled air in and cooled the motor. But the fan was just so loud, could hear it almost over my engine. So i got an electric fan and took the flex off. Seems to be running fine. Temp is normal.

The flex fan pulled air in towards the motor but the electric pulls air away from the motor out the front of the car through the radiator.

Which do you all prefer a Flex fan or an electric? And pls tell your own opinions on upsides and downsides with both.................
then its wired in backwards

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually i have crossed wires, try'd different setups, checked all connectionbs. ran a **** ton of tests. The fan only goes one way. when driving the fan is off. Air flows in through the radiator and cools the engine. When sitting still or car is off. I can flick it on and let it run. Type of fan i have. I thought it was defective. but i called a few people and everyone said its normal.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pusher? lol that would mean i would have to mount it in front of the radiator. Nah not made for that. i will call the dealer in the morning. But i still flex fan or electric haven't had any problem with cooling

my temp gauge----> C(NORMAL)H thats how it reads. Maybe 2 or 3 times have i ever seen it get between the r and m, no further. it usually sits on the line between c and n or on the n. But i haven't had it in the florida heat yet, that will be the real test of the new electric fan.

·
Registered
248 Posts
the stock temp gauge sucks, you can only tell if its cold or really really hot by it.

what kinda fan is it? my bet is that it is a pusher fan.

sucking hot air off the motor through the radiator isnt going to cool much of anything

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
True but i got it off of another Mustang.......and it was between the motor and the radiator not in front

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no just tellin ya where i got it, true me and the previous owner could be idiots when it comes to our stangs. lol but tomorrow the dealer is gettin a phonecall

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
you got the wiring reversed, for it to work properly it should pull or push fresh air through the radiator towards the motor, unless you are planning on driving in reverse all the time?

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
vivoronte said:
Electric fans can come as pushers, pullers or both. If the fan is a pusher it needs to be mounted on the front side of the radiator. If the fan is a puller it needs to be mounted on the backside of the radiator. Some fans can be used as a pusher or a puller depending on how the wires are connected.

Either way, a good electric fan has no drawbacks beside the price.

·
Registered
223 Posts
can't a pusher be a puller too?

·
Registered
538 Posts
the electric fan is safer,my friends was working on his car when the engine was running and one of the blades from the flex fan broke off and flew into his arm, and my old 4 banger stang had one of those solid factory type fans and a blade broke off when i was driving and dented the hood from underneith. I couldnt evern drive the car cause it was so unbalanced the motor was shaking till i replaced it. i guess we should start using fan shrouds

·
Registered
223 Posts
Won't an elec. fan use less horsepower than a clutch fan?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts