Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an electric fan out of a 92 Ford Taurus 3.8 today, now I need to know how to wire it up. I found an article about this and was wondering if this is what I should do, any suggestions welcome!
FORDMUSCLE webmagazine: Junkyard Electric Fan

What do you guys think???

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
ok i dont know wt the taurus fan looks like but i just put a dual electric fan system in mine, heres wt i did,

i just took the and cut off the plug in part of the wire, there was only 2 wires left. figure out wt way the polarity goes when u touch the wire to power and ground. wire in a relay, fuse the battery to relay wire, put on a swith in the cab and call it a day

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the way yours is set up you have to turn it off when temp is average and on when temp starts to rise. I guess it dosen't turn off and on by itself dependent on temp? By the way could you tell any difference in "getty up?"

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
how i turn it on and off is through the switch in the passenger compartment (cab).

but heres the trick :) i have the relay run to the ignition coil as well as the battery so that if i forget to turn off the switch when i get out, the fan doesnt get power unless the key is atleast in the on position. then when i get in the car and go oh **** i forgot my switch i just turn it off and start the car, then turn it back on (so the car can start withought the fan drawing power, makes for a esier start)

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Thats a pretty in depth article on how to hook it up the right way, I would go step by step from that article. I was actually surprised to see that that fan draws 40a continuous, thats a lot of current, not to mention the 130a start-up!

Otherwise you could go with a relay wired off your ignition, so the fan is on whenever your ignition is on. That will make warm-up a little slower and you will constantly be drawing 40a while driving. The other way is to go with a switch like 91cobra did. The only downside to that is that you have to manually flip the switch when you notice the temp gauge getting up there.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
how i turn it on and off is through the switch in the passenger compartment (cab).

but heres the trick :) i have the relay run to the ignition coil as well as the battery so that if i forget to turn off the switch when i get out, the fan doesnt get power unless the key is atleast in the on position. then when i get in the car and go oh **** i forgot my switch i just turn it off and start the car, then turn it back on (so the car can start withought the fan drawing power, makes for a esier start)
You can also wire it to your accessory wire so you don't have to worry about turning the switch off during crank. The accessory automatically drops voltage vuring crank for that exact reason.. I believe it is a grey/yellow wire on these cars at the ign switch.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
or just leave it on all the time, thats how mines set up, temp stays constant thats what the thermostats for

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any other ideas???

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, so I have continued to do a lot of searching and talked to a tech man at Summit Racing and he advised me to use this setup......http://store.summitracing.com/compar...eywordSea rch
He also told me that I didn't need to upgrade the alt that I would be fine. Does this sound right. I really don't want to use a probe to push through the radiator fins nor do I want to run it with a toggle switch, I want it to turn of and on at a certain temp and go off at a certain temp I also want to install a LED light near the dimmer switch so I know when it's off and when it's on. What do you guys think about the Flexalie variable speed switch??? Do you gentlemen think this set up will work??? Thanks again for all your help and insight!

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
you wont need to upgrade the alt, mines fine even with my underdrive pulleys

·
Registered
146 Posts
i bought a black magic and the relay burnt out along with the temp sensor just bought a new relay and hooked it up to a switch it works fine i used the radio power wire to feed the switch and the battery to feed the relay it works fine you also notice the car revs up a little quicker too with out the stock fan set up

1 - 16 of 16 Posts