Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i gotta get an electric fan for my fox what kind are you guys running where are you getting them and how much..thanks

·
Registered
479 Posts
Flex-o-lite
Parts Store
If you have to ask how much, you cant afford it

Get a Lincoln Mark8 fan or a taurus fan from the junk yard if your are doing it on the cheap.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I your going to do the fan look into a 3 core radiator if yours is leaking, you can buy the whole kit with brackets and fan for a good price

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Flex-a-lite 175 - Flex-a-lite Direct Fit Electric Fans - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I use this one. I suggest getting a fan controller if you go with something that doesn't have one built in. I ran this one without one and it's pretty obnoxious. It comes on full bore when it hits temp and it's pretty loud. Fan controllers allow for soft start and less than 100% operating power so unless the car gets really hot, the fan will operate at less than full power. It's a lot quieter that way.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Flex-a-lite 175 - Flex-a-lite Direct Fit Electric Fans - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I use this one. I suggest getting a fan controller if you go with something that doesn't have one built in. I ran this one without one and it's pretty obnoxious. It comes on full bore when it hits temp and it's pretty loud. Fan controllers allow for soft start and less than 100% operating power so unless the car gets really hot, the fan will operate at less than full power. It's a lot quieter that way.
I agree with the fan controller.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have this one 1986-93 Mustang 5.0L Electric Fan Kit at LRS - Same Day Shipping!. it has the built in controller and is not that loud. i bought it used but for some reason mine is labeled as being a flex-a-lite, but its exactly the same as the one on the link. i mounted mine backwards so the wires are hidden. it cools my car really fast with the factory radiator. i think its for a very good price also

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
The pro-form one is a copy of the flex-a-lite. That's pretty much all pro-form does is copy other designs.. and make shitty copies at that. If yours is labeled flex-a-lite then it is much better than the one you posted the link for. Those aren't built in controllers on those, they're just thermostats that kick the fan on to full when you hit a certain temp. A fan controller is a bit different where it will put, for example, 60% power at a certain temp, and increase the power as the temp of the coolant climbs.

·
Registered
842 Posts
screw that $240 dollar fan. my mark 8 fan will almost pull the car forward if in neutrel :p the t bird fans look identical to the mark 8's. so what i did was to grab the radiator from a 94 4.6L t-bird. modified it a little bit, (cut off the top mounting points.the tank is plastic and the mounts are easy to cut with a 4 1/2'' grinder) the mark 8 fan will fit directly to this radiator in the factory mounting points. for a fan control i use a Hayden controller from advanced auto. it uses a radiator probe and has a 160-220 deg adjustment. the lincoln fan is one bad mother fu--er, and would most likely blow that 40 amp relay. to get around this. i use a constant duty 100 amp selonoid to carry the load to the fan. the fan controller is only used to ''trigger'' the selonoid. nappa does sell selonoids like this for golf carts and winches. i got mine on ebay for $15 bucks.

this is the 94 tbird rad

j/y radiator= $40
j/y mark 8 fan= $30
hayden controler= $35
100 amp selonoid (ebay)= $15
and add another lets say...$50 bucks for supplys. cut off wheeles, wires, wire conectors, sheet metal for bracket fab, yada yada.
grand total $180 bucks for fan,aluuminum radiator, and thermo control.:D
this combo will blow away a store bought $400 dollar cooling system any day .:p

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Hey guys i gotta get an electric fan for my fox what kind are you guys running where are you getting them and how much..thanks

Why do you NEED one? Do you have one now and its broke or do you still have the clutch and mech fan and its not doing its job? I only ask because if you are trying to fix a overheating or "hot" issue, an electric fan will only temporarily hide the real problem.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Why do you NEED one? Do you have one now and its broke or do you still have the clutch and mech fan and its not doing its job? I only ask because if you are trying to fix a overheating or "hot" issue, an electric fan will only temporarily hide the real problem.
Exactly, my old mans vortech car still runs the stock radiator, fan, and apparently according to records 15 year old coolant and it works fine. I only ditched my clutch fan to make it easier to work on my car with the vortech.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts