Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone switched out their stock water pump for the electric water pump, and if so what kind of HP did you see on the dyno.

I'm looking to hit 300 RWHP with a 4.6 2V N/A and I want to know if the electric water pump is what they say in HP gains.

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
Electric pumps are too expensive, get something like a stewart water pump and save the money for something else.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I've been running the Meziere Electric Water Pump for around 50,000 miles. I put it on at the same time that I installed the supercharger so there is no way to know for sure but I suspect I got 12-15 hp transferred to the wheels. An n/a car would get maybe 7-8.

·
April 2012 ROTM
4,739 Posts
I thought about runnin an electric water pump someday...the meziere is nice and shiny too :D lol was there any noticeable gain?

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I've had a lot of mechanical water pumps go out. It always seems to be at the most inconvenient time like on Sunday driving across country.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I've had a lot of mechanical water pumps go out. It always seems to be at the most inconvenient time like on Sunday driving across country.
think of the hassles if you were in the same situation with an electric, no pulling a replacement off the napa shelf

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you already have Steeda UDP's and are N/A, your gain would only be about 2-3 rwhp.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
think of the hassles if you were in the same situation with an electric, no pulling a replacement off the napa shelf
Actually it is pretty close to pulling one off the NAPA shelf. It has the exact dimensions of a stock water pump with an idler pulley. The reason I bought it was that my supercharger install was stalled. It wouldn't fit with the under drive pulleys the previous owner put on. I did not have a stock water pump pulley. Instead of buying it and moving backwards in my build I chose to buy the electric water pump. If the dang thing crashes on the road I get a stock pump and pulley.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've had many mechanical water pumps go out in the past, along with alternators and starters. So stuff does break down, **** happens.

The Mezeire carries a 2 year warranty, won't find that with any mechanical water pump.

What happens when your radiator elecric fan dies? You switching back to a mechanical fan, I don't think so!

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Hey, I had that happen while traveling in the summer through Alabama. As long as you are at interstate speeds everything is fine. Whatever you do don't go into town and stop at a light. It will overheat fast.

·
Registered
244 Posts
2 year warranty my ass, i bought one from mezier and it leaked from day one, sent it back to them, and after about a month or a month and a half, i funally got it back, and it started leaking again, sent it back for a second time, got it back finally, and it failed completly after about 30 miles, so i just switched back to a mechanical pump after mezier told my builder all they could do was repair my old one and not replace it.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2 year warranty my ass, i bought one from mezier and it leaked from day one, sent it back to them, and after about a month or a month and a half, i funally got it back, and it started leaking again, sent it back for a second time, got it back finally, and it failed completly after about 30 miles, so i just switched back to a mechanical pump after mezier told my builder all they could do was repair my old one and not replace it.
Did they refund your money, or did you just give up?

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Reputable tuners have seen 0-4 rwhp in most cases. Not worth the alternator drag.:(

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
I only argue the mechanical pump due to price difference, seriously for something close to 150 + shipping you have a stewart pump. You almost have enough money to do a stewart pump and an aluminum driveshaft for the cost of having a meziere pump. Id say that would be a better use of money, if money is an issue.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
I have one and love it. Never have to worry about over heating if a belt breaks until the battery is dead.

·
Registered
45 Posts
another good point on the electric pump is you can wire it into a seperate switch along with the fan and keep both running in the staging lanes with the motor off to realize some fast cool down times.

·
Registered
244 Posts
no, i didnt get a refund from them, my builder just knocked the price of the pump off of the labor charges and he ate the cost

·
Registered
730 Posts
another good point on the electric pump is you can wire it into a seperate switch along with the fan and keep both running in the staging lanes with the motor off to realize some fast cool down times.
Yes that is one of the good things if you plan on making a lot of passes at the track especially if they are back to back. But if you don't plan on doing a lot of racing with it I wouldn't bother.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts