·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
yes, great water pump for our cars

also i would go pick up a 4 amp relay and wire it in. the one i got was just a standard 30 amp relay

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
You could probably wire it into the alternator wiring, or just connect a fuse jumper under the dash and connect it that way. I would rather wire it up with an indicator light so you know when it's on.

The good thing about having it on a switch is you can turn it on at the track and let it run to cool the engine.

Are you going to have it dyno to see how much you actually gained after installing it, I'm curious about the HP gains they claim. I've been thinking about this mod myself for but I've conflicting things about doing it.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
when i got mine i was having a hard time finding a switched source so i wired mine into the radio. as a indicater light i just taped into the positve line after the fuse so if it blew the fuse the light would turn off.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
I installed that pump in my XR7 back in '06, when I was running a relatively stock 4.6L DOHC in the car. I skipped paying $45 for the "relay kit" and elected to wire it up with a standard 30 amp relay and socket. The relay receives 12V from the distribution box (fused at 7.5 amps, IIRC) and is energized with a "key ON" circuit. I knocked 0.143 off my average corrected E.T.'s when I installed the Meziere pump, and I've had absolutely zero issues with it.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I didn't do the installation but mine is hooked up through a standard relay ($9 at Advance Auto). I've got 4 years and 67,000 miles on it. The only problem I've had is with the relay. It went out leaving me stranded about 3 years ago. I now carry an extra one in my glove box.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I installed that pump in my XR7 back in '06, when I was running a relatively stock 4.6L DOHC in the car. I skipped paying $45 for the "relay kit" and elected to wire it up with a standard 30 amp relay and socket. The relay receives 12V from the distribution box (fused at 7.5 amps, IIRC) and is energized with a "key ON" circuit. I knocked 0.143 off my average corrected E.T.'s when I installed the Meziere pump, and I've had absolutely zero issues with it.
Good stuff man! So it wires up to a keyed 12V source, like when you turn the key on it turns on? Was that gain in the 1/4th or 1/8th? WhiteVenom, what are you talking about, its just a WP change. Does not seem that hard to do:confused:

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't do the installation but mine is hooked up through a standard relay ($9 at Advance Auto). I've got 4 years and 67,000 miles on it. The only problem I've had is with the relay. It went out leaving me stranded about 3 years ago. I now carry an extra one in my glove box.
Did it come with instructions to wire it, where do you have yours wired into/wired at?

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Its just alot of stuff to pull for a water pump. I mean it will help but its kind of like adding shorty headers..

When you pull the intake replace the lower gaskets while your there and a water pump gasket is 3.99 so do that to. idk i know its not hard but its some time for what it does. Make sure you have or get a torque wrench as well. i think they are 100 ft lb but check the torque specs.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
Good stuff man! So it wires up to a keyed 12V source, like when you turn the key on it turns on? Was that gain in the 1/4th or 1/8th?
Yep, the way I wired mine was so that when the key is on, the water pump is on. I didn't want to wire it to a switch, because it only takes forgetting to turn on the switch one time to cook the engine. The gain listed above was in the 1/4. I haven't done the math to see what the average gain was in the 1/8th.

Its just alot of stuff to pull for a water pump. I mean it will help but its kind of like adding shorty headers..

When you pull the intake replace the lower gaskets while your there and a water pump gasket is 3.99 so do that to. idk i know its not hard but its some time for what it does. Make sure you have or get a torque wrench as well. i think they are 100 ft lb but check the torque specs.
The only thing you have to pull to replace the water pump is the serpentine belt and the water pump pulley. No need to touch the intake manifold. Replacing the water pump on these cars takes an hour, tops, and that includes draining/refilling the coolant.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Yeah i know its minimal for the price but im trying to do EVERYTHING to make it faster than it is now i can without messing with the internals/motor.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts

·
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA
5,502 Posts

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats just a regular Manuel pump, there is an electric MOROSO pump on mustangsunlimited for under $100 but that just seems too cheap to be true

·
Registered
730 Posts
I would see this more beneficial to bracket racers more than so much just a power gain. It allows for a quicker cool down especially if you have a good fan set up as well.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I've read several threads on Stewart vs Meizere. One guy swore that Stewart was more reliable but had to replace his after just a few months because of bearings. Another said that he went through two Meizere electric water pumps in only a few weeks. (I suspect bad installation.) There was a group that swore electric water pumps were only good for the track. In googling for the installation instructions, I read several post of Meziere electric water pumps going 60,000 plus miles. I think Meziere says 2,000 hours. One of the posts said Meizere will rebuild them for $50 but I have no idea if that is true or not.

Reactions: andrewskaggs

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
After having the Meziere on my "fun" car for the past 5 years, I wouldn't hesitate to run one on a daily driver at all.

I would see this more beneficial to bracket racers more than so much just a power gain. It allows for a quicker cool down especially if you have a good fan set up as well.
:yes In my case at least, it actually works a little too well. I don't run it in the staging lanes at all unless the ambient temps are above 80 degrees and the shutdown times are short. With the aluminum block and the fan setup I'm running, coolant temps drop pretty quickly with the engine off.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
In addition to what Eagle said above, the electric pump will still function in case of belt breakage, so you can limp your car home (at least until your battery dies).

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah i dont care what it is, if it bolts to a car and has a brand there will be people that both love and hate the item.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts