Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
example: Meziere Enterprises

I know that one says its like 550 but I have seen them advertised and sold out of parts outlets for much less than that.

according to the ad it frees up horsepower, there by making you go faster and get better mileage at the same time. they also claim that it can last a really long time.

so it sounds like a great bolt on to do when you are running out of bolt ons to do.

just a few things spook me about the idea.

#1. in the OE's arms race to make engines that put out more power, get better mileage, and get better emissions.....you would think the OE's would of jumped on this idea all the way back in the 70's and 80's. but the diddn't. to my knowledge every motor I have ever seen or worked on (was a mechanic for about 5 years back in the 90's) had a mechanically driven water pump. so if this is such a great idea why has the OE NEVER gotten on this?

#2. I have never actually heard of or seen a street car with an electric water pump. let alone a daily driven one. the only motors I have ever seen with electric water pumps were dedicated racers, and even at that its not really that common on any given day at the track.

now with as common as the name meziere is in the automotive aftermarket world I know I am not the first one to hear about this. they advertise daily streetability but I don't know with that fact that I have never actually seen one on the street.

any input

or anything I am missing here?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have had a Meziere EWP on my 05 GT for about 4 years with no issues of any kind. My car is a daily driver with an occasional trip to the drag strip. They say it frees up some parasitic HP and it probably does but not to the point it is obviously noticeable.

To me the biggest asset of the EWP to me is that it does a super job of circulating coolant and cooling your car. In the hottest weather in town traffic with AC full blast my temp control never goes past half way. It is also really handy at the track to help keep the motor cool between runs without having to also run the motor. It helps between Dyno runs too.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
The most reliable water pumps are mechanical. The industry stays with them because there is not much that can go wrong with them as compared to an electrical one. They are more expensive too. Back in the day electrical pumps were not as good as they are today and they are becoming more prevalent in daily drivers because of this. Yes you gain a little as far as parasitic loss. Where it is a real advantage is the the ability to pump the same volume of water at idle as WOT. When you are sitting in bumper to bumper with no air going through the radiator, is where most cooling systems are under the most stress. The mechanical pumps volume is dependant on engine speed. So at idle it is pumping the least amount of water when you need it the most. And for those that go to the strip, you can run your water pump and cooling fans while the engine is off and really cut your cool down times to a minimum. There are plenty of guys who run them on their daily drivers and it is on my to do list for my daily driver.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I also think that NavyMan is selling his, but you have to pick up a relay for it.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
I think it's more of an issue with cost. Think about the cost difference between the OE mechanical water pump and an electric one, it's a BIG difference. That adds up pretty quickly when you're building as many cars as they do today. I've seen quite a few people with electric water pumps and they drive them every single day. The only issue you'd have is with a poor installation. I've never seen an electric water pump go bad either.

·
All sissies going to Hell!
5,818 Posts
I have run one for a year on my DD, and it worked just fine. I have had it in 2 s197 mustangs now and it worked great, gave me more power and helped my gas mileage. I am going to get one back in the car but the one I have is taking up space and I am going to spain. The one I have for sale is in great shape and has 800 hours on it and needs a $34.99 relay kit, from brenspeed. I love this mod and it is nice to run when your car is hot after runs.

And everyone that has run one and had it installed correctly, has had 0 problems and no complaints. It is a solid mod. PM me if you are interested in my water pump.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts