Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i own a 2000 mustang gt, Today i was working on it, installing a new stereo. Well there is a memory wire on the stero that needs a constant power, So me being stupid i left the battery connected and ran a wire from the battery positive through the firewall behind the dash into my memory wire, well i hit something back that the created a big spark, then a rapid clicking sound, followed by nothing. Hooked everything back up and the car wont start, no key noise, no crank, no lights, no headlights, no horn, no anything... Whenever you turn the key all you hear is one click and thats it. anyone have any suggestions as to whats broken? btw the battery has perfect voltage and is brand new so its not bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,245 Posts
fuses. disconnect battery and leave it unhooked for a lil bit maybe?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,245 Posts
might i add that was dumb to do. LOL. Entire car is grounded and you run a random hot wire through the car. LOL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,968 Posts
try cleaning you battery posts and grease them, then put on the cables very tight. very very very tight. my 95 had the same problem and i just bought new connecters for the posts. cleaned it and it was nice running again :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
ya im worried i fried my GEM
I doubt that, you'd blow a fuse or a fusible link, They design stuff like this in case people do what you did :D

When I was a nOOb workin on cars I had a 79 Malibu and I was swapping out the starter w/o disconnecting the battery. When the wrench touched metal ZAP and sparks :eek: Luckily my older neighbor came over and suggested I check the fusible link and sure enough it was. Replaced it with a new one and the car fired right up.
Good luck
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,464 Posts
you blew a fuse as mentioned above
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey thanks for everything guys, i got it fixed, it actually wasnt a fuse, but it was a circuit breaker, i just diconnected the battery for a while, unplugged ecm, gem, and stuff like that, let it sit and it fired back to life when i hooked it all back up :D
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top