Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i crank my car and let it idle. the alt guage goes back and forth from R to N and barely does it while throttles open. so what does that mean? my battery charges fine. if you turn on the lights at night while it does that you notice it in the lights also. i was thinkning a bad regulator. but you never know. ???:crazy

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
The regulator was my first guess. Check the belt tho. If its loose the alt wont spin as it should. I believe there is a wear indicator on the tensioner. Or take it to Autozone or Advance if you have one and have them check the alternator.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i have a spare 3G alternator laying around, so i was wondering if it was that for sure so i can just change it. i mean the needle doesnt go back and forth slowly, its like it ticks back and forth between those letters. i want to say its the regulator also. further inspection of the alternator i found roach chunks, lol inside the vents thats for cooling it. so i think the little guy may have gotten in there and some how screwed it up. i dont know yet i havent broke it down yet.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no this is a constant tick back and forth. i can even see it the lights at night flickering from it when driving. its gotta be my regulator. i left my battery hooked up in it for the past month and found that it had drained it dead, so on that note i defintly have a short somewhere.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i have a huge cam in it so its lopey anyway. but it doesnt die. but it does even with the cam, revs up and down between 900rpm to 1100 rpm at idle and i havent been able to figure out just yet why its doing that either because when i got the car running the first time it never did either. the battery guage didnt jump nor did the idle jump up like it does.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the same problem on my 95 GT, I'm going to replaced the alt. pully from a 67mm to a 48mm to see if I get more amps on idle, if that does not work I'm going to replaced the alt.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i got a spare alt that has a good reg on it, so im going to swap it and see if that changes anything. i just need to get it done while this post is still fresh lol. have to find the time to do it and ill let you all know how it turned out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I replaced the alt pulley with a 48mm and a new belt and it seens to work fine no more voltage drop with full accessory on (A/C, lights, radio, map lights, transmision on drive or reverse, normal operating temp. coolant fan on in low or high) I'm drive it to work and so far ok volt indicator reads between o-r 13v

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah but mine doesnt drop. It ticks back and forth. I tried to take mine spare apart today and broke my torques head and couldnt get the huge nut off the pulley. I need some air tools which im not around. I got two days off coming up. Might fiddle around some more with it. Let you know what I come up with. All in all ill probably just buy a new alternator.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Do your rmps get lopy or the car die at idle?
Sorry to thread jack but I have basically the same problem and mine lopes like it has a huge cam at idle. I was planning on testing the alternator this weekend. Seems like I'm on the right track?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, changed the regulator. no go. the guage is still ticking. maybe a new alternator, but i have a feeling its a short somewhere else. being that my battery went dead while still connected.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have this same problem with my volt gauge... it likes to wiggle at idle like yours too. I dont think it is your alternator that is bad... that was the first thing i tried replacing since it was original from 95 and to no prevail still get the wiggle gauge and my dash lights flicker as before too. Ive been doing a lot of poking around the engine bay for an oviouse sign of some sort, and the power wires from... alt to start relay, battery + to starter, battery + to fusebox, battery- to ??? wherever it goes..... all seem to have a dark brown/ greenish tent to them and i know that is a no go. that is next on the list to replace and i will share with the class if this fixes my problem.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does your battery drain after a couple of weeks of sitting? Or do you use yours as a dailey? See I find it strange though. When I first got the car. It didnt do that. Now all of a sudden it started it. I have an electrical shop around here that ive had great experience with. So when I put my axles back in and get everything straight im taking it to them to find a short. There could be something we are overlooking. Like you I too have checked all my wiring. Ive seen nothing wrong. Checked my fuses as well. Nothing that would indicate something bad. So im baffled. My light flicker with the tick of the gauge even going down the interstate. I noticed this before I took my axle apart. So ill still keep digging and I will also post my last finding on as well. Its bugging the crap out of me.

·
Registered
220 Posts
drakkhen... did you ever fix the route of your problem... I replaced my battery/starter harness…(Had to make my own because Ford makes them for 93 and 96 but not 94-95, mother f*ckers) but anyway it solved my problem just like I though it would. After so many years my power and ground wires had become brittle, green, and corroded causing them to have a lot of resistance. Those wires are the 12v supply to your whole car... when I replaced them the old ones basically fell apart in my hand. Might be something you want to look into..... Also I'm thinking about building those harnesses for anyone who that needs one since Ford discontinued them for whatever reason so let me know.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I believe I did yes. ive been so tied up in redoing my suspension and getting my idle back right and lah, lah, lah that I haven't put much thought into it. plus I had to go get another battery because apparently I have a short some where and within a week of not starting it it will drain the bat. so while I was working on it I ran across a ground wire coming from the negative bat post and connected to the body. it had a bad frayed wired connector on it which I replaced and once again changed my ECU back to the original. so far so good.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yes. fixed it defintly. it was a bad ground to the ECU and my lights and all that stuff.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts