Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so the other day I got the p0622 and my car ended up dying while I was out driving. Had it towed to my house because I figured I'd just change the alternator and be on my way.
So I went and picked one up today and replaced it, ended up having to go get my battery charged after I replaced the alternator because I had no juice and couldn't jump it. So I got it charge, threw the battery in and connected the + wire then I went to slide the - wire on and sparks started flying and the wire that runs to the alternator along the side of the plenum got super hot and started smoking..... Took everything off and looked at the connections on the alt and everything looks fine. So what the hell is going on???? I literally have not touched any thing else.

Reps to anyone who can help! And many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
You have a short somewhere. If it's not the alternator check down by the engine fuse box. It's gotta be a big draw so to get that wire hot so I would start in those two locations. What is the P0622 code?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alternator field terminal circuit failure is p0622

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Possible causes for this code to come up are as follows:

- Generator circuit short to ground.
- Generator circuit short to voltage.
- Generator circuit open.
- Battery-sense circuit open.
- Generator drive mechanism. (belt)
- Damaged generator/regulator assembly.
- Damaged PCM.

So the first one is the what I suspected right off the bat but if you can't find fault with that one you should just go down the list. Now I believe that in our cars the voltage regulation is controlled by the ECM and I hope that's not it. Do you have a Mulitmeter? With the battery unhiiked I would test the back of the alternator where the battery cable attaches and an engine ground. If you have continuity there the alternator itself has probably got some kind of short in it. Just because it's ne doesn't mean it's not bad.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So when I test it like you said would I keep the positive connected to the back of the alt and to the positive of the battery?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I hooked up my multimeter and when I put the lead on yhe bolt on the back and the ground that is on the tower mount I got a number that started in the 500s and then rose steadily to 1100, is this a bad thing?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I took it back and the got at Advance agreed it had a short in it. I ran across town to pick another one up, had him bench test it while I was there and it came back fine. Got home, put it on and the negative cable sparked and the alternator wire got hot and smoked. I took it off and checked the continuity and it had a reading of 1500. I took it up to Advance and decided I'd just get my money back. So I think I'm gonna just order a PA alt and their wire from AM.

·
Registered
188 Posts
reman alternators are junk, i own a repair shop over here in MI and i cant tell you how many bad parts we see that are remans. I would buy a motorcraft to start with.

·
gtscrewd
5,228 Posts
Can't hurt to have a fire extinguisher handy that some creepy stuff better to be safe then sorry.

·
3v reppin'
3,454 Posts
Well I took it back and the got at Advance agreed it had a short in it. I ran across town to pick another one up, had him bench test it while I was there and it came back fine. Got home, put it on and the negative cable sparked and the alternator wire got hot and smoked. I took it off and checked the continuity and it had a reading of 1500. I took it up to Advance and decided I'd just get my money back. So I think I'm gonna just order a PA alt and their wire from AM.
I didn't have your exact issue, but when I had alternator problems (burned through two in six months), I swapped to the PA Alt and upgraded wiring, and I've pretty much solved my Alternator issues.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
reman alternators are junk, i own a repair shop over here in MI and i cant tell you how many bad parts we see that are remans. I would buy a motorcraft to start with.
Well that was my first idea, but Ford only has reman now too.
Can't hurt to have a fire extinguisher handy that some creepy stuff better to be safe then sorry.
Ya I should probably, and have someone with me so in the event that I get shocked I'm not laying on the ground for hours!
I didn't have your exact issue, but when I had alternator problems (burned through two in six months), I swapped to the PA Alt and upgraded wiring, and I've pretty much solved my Alternator issues.
Good to hear. Did you do the PA wire upgrade or your own? Did you take out the original wire? I'm afraid the fuse piece is bad on the stock one now.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright alternator is replaced and car is running again. Only question I have is the and light and the traction control lights are still on solid on the dash. Checked the battery and its charging though, and I dont get any trouble codes.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I was going to tell you to unhook the battery for a few to see if it resets but I guess you did that when you installed the alterator.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ya I might try it, I googled my issue but no one had an actual solution to the problem. Course its been unhooked for a week now lol.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can someone give Boss some reps for me? Gotta spread some/ Boss has to quit knowing the fix to my issues lol!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts