Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my car the right blinker would stop blinking whenever the running or headlights were turned on. The left blinker works perfectly all the time. I replaced all bulbs and the headlights but the right blinker still stops blinking when i turn the lights on. The bulb for the right blinker lights up both filaments when the running and headlights are on, where as the left only lights up one filament with the lights on. What is causing my right blinker to not blink with the lights on when my left blinker works fine?

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
This may sound like a retarded question, but there is or was never a trailer hitch on the car before was there? I've seen that problem hundreds of times, but it's always on trucks or some cars that have had trailer wiring done that has failed due to the elements. That's going to be a tough problem to track down through the internet. If no hitch (which I'm doubting is there) pull your rear interior panels and check all the wiring going to your tails. Same with the blinker lenses up front. It's usually a corrosion issue when you run into something like this. Or at least in my experience it is here in the salted buffalo winters.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think a hitch was ever on the car, but i will check all the connections front and rear asap. Could my blinker/flasher switch be bad? I should have included that when i turn my blinker on w/ the lights on the right blinker illuminates, it just doesn't blink. Thanks

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
It's possible that it's a bad flasher. The switch is probably good if it's at least turning the blinker on, but with electronics, anything goes. If you find nothing at the wires, get a new flasher and plug it in. If it's not the problem, return the flasher. That's my favorite part about parts stores, they take almost anything back for a full refund if it didn't work out for you.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
If the left one is flashing, the flasher is not bad. If both elements are lighting up, look down into the socket the bulb plugs into, and make sure it's not melted or has something down in it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts