Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i purchased my car salvaged, and to my knowledge(it was my first car, a stupid buy, and the carfax was vague) it was in a front left collision. new headlight all the body stuff up front, new left door, etc. just recently im noticing small things about the car that may hinder my passing of inspection. i had it passed by a friend last year, he just ripped the old sticker off scanned a new one and i was off, but im thinking i may have to pass emissions and crap this year :confused: first off, theres moisture in the front left headlight assembly. even on a sunny day theres condensation inside it. and ive always noticed that the horn on occasion doesnt work, but it never works now. also my cruise control system doesn't always work (ive noticed this in several recent long drives). and then another thing that i just realized is when i start my car the gauges don't calibrate or do that thing where they fly up and back down, they just sit there.. im thinking theres some sort of electrical situation going on due to the accident, are these things all possibly one problem?(besides the headlight of course)

also, while on the subject of insection. i have a no catted H-pipe and flow 40s... is it possible for someone to pass that with the inspection computer if they "try" ? or is it a definite fail. i have a couple friends that work at dealerships but if its not even possible to pass ill have to get a catted pipe... i live in MA btw

any suggestions and knowledge on how deep of a pile i may be stepping into, please gimmie the heads up:sorry

·
Registered
303 Posts
the head light moisture is a common thing im thinkin. and as for the rest i donno. try takin the headlight out dry it with a hair dryer. then when u put the light bulb back in make sure there is a good tight seal. maybe this will help?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
The only time your guages go to maximum is after your PCM is reset. During normal startup, they will only go to where they need to be.

Not sure about with MA, but most states if they do a full emmissions test on your vehicle, you will not pass with an off road h pipe. Part of the inspection is a visual inspection to make sure you have cats. I'll take a look tonight to see what i can find about your cruise control and horn issue. As for your headlights, take a look at the seal...you might have to put some silcon sealant on it.

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
what are you expecting your gauges to do on startup? mine dont do anything?

+ 1 I would worry more if my needles did that every time. Do they come up to where they are supposed to each time? The horn not working could just be a loose wire, or even a fuse. Cruise control could be the same way. I would start tracing some wires from the horn and from the cruise unit. As for the no cat situation, you will fail for sure, unless you got a friend doing it again. but you can buy a used stock mid pipe damn cheap and throw on there for inspection and take it back off after.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My headlights did the same americanmuscle has a headlight fix on there website how you can put them on a wet piece of cardboard and put them in the oven and reseal the factory seal.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the info all... and as far as what im expecting the gauges to do... on a LOT of vehicles, every time u start the car up the gauges "calibrate" where they in the course of a half second fly all the way around to their farthest point and then come back... check out some mustang videos on youtube you'll know what im talking about.

·
Registered
26 Posts
dude 1st off that video is of a race car or sum **** i have never had a car that has done that. wen i turn it on the tach mite jump to 1500 and then settle down to 1000 but it aint goin to the redline, id be really worried for ur life if ur car did that cuz itd prob blow up or sumthin. and i live in boston and i had an off road x pipe on my mustang for about 6 months b4 i went to get it inspected, ended up havin to get it catted it wouldnt pass so good luck with that

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dude 1st off that video is of a race car or sum **** i have never had a car that has done that. wen i turn it on the tach mite jump to 1500 and then settle down to 1000 but it aint goin to the redline, id be really worried for ur life if ur car did that cuz itd prob blow up or sumthin. and i live in boston and i had an off road x pipe on my mustang for about 6 months b4 i went to get it inspected, ended up havin to get it catted it wouldnt pass so good luck with that

my friend's sti does it every single time he starts the car. im not sayin when i start the car the engine should redline....... the gauges -_- the gauges -_- just forget it lol

thanks for the help all, the headlight thing worked i baked it while i was on lunch then resealed it. ill prolly just take it to a car electrical person for the other crap

·
Registered
761 Posts
unless you can actually hear your car bouncing off the rev limiter when the needles jump like that, it aint gunna blow your motor... Id check your computer and make sure its good, anyone can get there gauges to do that if they hold the trip button.

emissions= maybe with an o/r x but not sure with H

lights, try the cardboard/ oven thing... but dont worry, all stangs have badly sealed lights

1 - 12 of 12 Posts