Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
diesels mustang is sitting on my lawn right now, everytime the car turns there is this popping noise from the rear end, usually its only when he turns the car but if he holds the brake and presses the gas, then it will do it to, i was thinking something like driveshaft is broke or the gears got broken, hes got traction control on the car so i think that means he has both wheels spinning right? also we took the plug off the rear differential and there wasnt alot, but a little bit of tiny metal shavings on the magnetic end.

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
diesels mustang is sitting on my lawn right now, everytime the car turns there is this popping noise from the rear end, usually its only when he turns the car but if he holds the brake and presses the gas, then it will do it to, i was thinking something like driveshaft is broke or the gears got broken, hes got traction control on the car so i think that means he has both wheels spinning right? also we took the plug off the rear differential and there wasnt alot, but a little bit of tiny metal shavings on the magnetic end.
no he doesnt have t-lok, but he probably screwed up his spider gears, time for an 8.8

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what kind of cars can he get the 8.8 rear end off of and have the traction lock still in it, besides the GT of course.

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how hard is it to pull some spider gears out of another mustang in the junkyard and install them?

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
how hard is it to pull some spider gears out of another mustang in the junkyard and install them?
bad Idea, traction control has nothing to do with the rear end, he can pull it off any 99-04 gt

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
time for a new differential.

go buy a rebuild kit for a 7.5 rear end.

drop some better gears in there while your at it

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
unforutanatly diesal doesnt have a job so hes down on his luck right now with a job, rebuild kit will definetly be cheaper and new gears would still help but money issue for him now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
can you send me a link to the rebuild kit you are talking about? I cant find one on e bay so idk if theres any websites that you guys know that i could get one from.

diesel

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
just buy a set of gears.. you don't have a t lock so just the gears would be fine

first off you should really open the diff cover and see what the issue is before you spend any real money.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
this is the exact symptom i have now. how he did it stock idk...but mines on a posi

spider gears are most likely shot if its only when he turns

·
Registered
25 Posts
yea ill be doing that in a hr or so and see whats going on. it seems like a spider gear issue though that's for sure. i cant just get gears i need spider gears right? if i get any gears im going to get the 3.73 gears what you all think?

Diesel

·
Registered
25 Posts
yea, its only when i turn, it will do it a little big when going straight but for the most part its while im turning left and right.

Diesel

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
4:10's get my vote.

find out whats wrong before you buy things.

could be a few things wrong.

but it does sound like spider gears

·
Registered
25 Posts
if i get 4:10's then my rpms will be really high wont they? that would be a big gas issue seeing that its about 3.20 a gal here in sc

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
spider gears
if its only when turning on the gas then spider gears
sometimes it'll lock and you can here one tire locked and sliding along the pavement

1 - 20 of 38 Posts