Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2012 mustang GT used from a dealership from outta state. Car came from PA and I am in NY. Car is completely stock with the resignators deleted and bassani mufflers that is it. Went to get the car inspected in Ny and it failed, it came up saying "monitor o2 not ready" and "monitor heated o2 not ready" so thinking it needed to cycle I drove the car more , well over 100miles thru the week til the weekend to get it inspected again but again the car failed saying the same codes. I did come across the original owner of the car to get more information About it and found out the cats have been gutted. The car was originally from Virginia which I was told has no emissions testing so the gutted cats would not be a factor.

To my main question , will the car absolutely not pass the emissions testing due to the cats being gutted? They dealer has been good and nice enough to work with me and thinking may need to get a new set or cats on the car, if and when comes down to it we would go with a set of high flow aftermarket ones. Thanks in advance for input.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The rite tuner could fix your problem but you would probably need to buy a sct handheld and then pay the tuner. if the dealer is going to help you out with hi flow cats you are probably better off.

·
Premium Member
1,906 Posts
If you want to keep the car blowing clean then buy a set of aftermarket cats and make sure the previous owner did not install MIL eliminators on the rear O2 sensors to stop the CEL light from coming on.

Do they do a sniffer test in NY for inspection or are they only plugging into your OBDII plug to read and confirm the sensors are OK? You may not have completed the "drive cycle" which is a combination of slow and fast. Monitor not ready is typically due to the drive cycle for that monitor not being completed yet. Deleting the resonator and installing axle backs will not cause you to fail inspection. gutted cats will if you have to blow clean.

This link has some details

Ford Motor Company Driving Cycle

·
Registered
874 Posts
No Sniffer but the tune has been altered. Buy a Tuner device and some high-flo cats and get 2 tunes, one for inspection and the other for what you want to do. NY laws change often so read up before you fork up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
you have a few options.
1. buy MIL eliminators off american muscle.
they plug into your 02 sensor harness and shut the code off
2.get an sct tuner and you can turn them off yourself
3.buy converters

my car is in ny state i have an sct tuner and turned off my rear o2s.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts