Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I've just about collected my necessary funds for my boost application. I'm looking for a dd with some spunk so ill be running low boost. Around 350-380 rwhp anyways I just looked at on3's website and the first gen kit is going for 1600 now and I'm debating on getting it. Now to my main question.

I live in stafford Virginia and we have emissions testing. Can a turbo car pass emissions? If so what has to be done? I know my current exhaust will be lost during the process (bassani chatted x pipe and flow master catback)....but right now I barely pass emissions as it is would going on3 make me suffer more?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol why? It would be just as if gen 2 never came out hahah..... But does anyone here deal with emissions and have a turbo? Haaaa I can see my dreams of having that loud wooooshhhh going away

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Are they sniffer emissions tests, or just OBDII? OBDII are easy to comply with. Sniffer? Not so much. That might be a challenge for you.

Then again if you keep your tune in check you should be able to at least meet 04 emissions at that power level since the 03/04 Cobras were compliant at that power level.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
It all depends on the laws in Virginia. Some states do a visual inspection looking for the stock exhaust. In California all mods have to be approved by a board.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
VA I think would be difficult since they do visual inspection every year. Northern VA sucks when it comes to emissions/inspection. They also do 2 speed sniffer tests or dyno plus OBD. But you're getting something in the tailpipe.... lol.

If you want that whoosh - you'd be safer getting a centri and a big bov.

·
Registered
484 Posts
If its just a visual inspection for emissions get mil eliminators and find a young mechanic and see if you can throw him a few bucks to look the other way. Its very illegal but it will work.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I'm pretty sure it's NOT the sniffer and just an obd test and the guy told me all they do is plug it into a computer and from there it takes over and tells them to turn the car off and on every so often blah blah blah.....is there any way of registering my car somewhere else? If so how? And are centris loud with the woosh? I just picture myself getting a hardon every time i shift lmao. And it's just that I know there's so much more potential with that on3 turbo than a centri

·
Registered
11,185 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
See I wouldn't mind a centri but doesn't a turbo provide boost earlier in your rpm range? Like doesn't it take a centri awhile to kick in? Like around 3.5-4k rpms?

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts