Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Boost Bro
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my car heats up, the shifter tends to get kinda notchy and makes it almost hard to put it into gear, could I be low on fluid? Or does it seem like a clutch issue? For the record I got a spec stage 1 with mm quadrant, firewall adjuster and cable.

·
Keep Moving Forward
1,006 Posts
My car is weird like that. Sometimes it is notchy going from 2nd to first. But, all of the other gears are pretty smooth.

However mine is notchy when it is cold and/or while coming to a stop... so I have no idea what causes it. It's something that comes and goes so I don't worry too much about it. Maybe synchros going bad?

I just had the tranny fluid flushed and replaced a month ago, I have the stock clutch, and the car has 50k miles.

I think it's just the way our T-45's wear man... not much you can do. Unless like you said it is a clutch issue or something.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Mine was doing that shortly before the cable broke in the burnout box, replaced cable and fixed my problem for about 3 months, than its kinda getting back to the same, it's kinda like sometime the clutch feels chalky and sticky when pressing usually sometime when letting out too:/

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I have a similar problem. About 3 months ago the transmission completely locked up on me. I couldn't get it into first at a dead stop without shutting off the engine. A new clutch cable helped a lot. A new quadrant and firewall adjuster helped a little more. Transmission is smooth as silk when I first start out. Smooth while driving. But after the car is warmed it its had to get into first at a dead stop. I'm wondering if its a clutch fork and pivot problem but its not bad enough right now for me to pull the transmission.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
How much free play does the pedal have? It should be 1" to 1-3/8" when you press on it with the ball of your hand, before you feel the TOB start to act against the Belleville spring fingers...

·
Boost Bro
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually replaced the clutch fork and throw out bearing because of this issue, and sanded down the groove in the pivot ball because I didn't have a new one at the time. It defiantly helped the issue as it was a lot worse before. I really don't know what it could be at this point, and cliffy yea it has about an inch or so of free play, I kinda feel like I might want to loosen it up a bit more though.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I was driving the other day (5400 RPM shift 3-4) and WHHHAAAAAA BOOOOM CSCSCSCSCSCSCSCSChhhhh is the sound my car made... I could almost head the throw out pieces falling out of the car lol, now if I touch my clutch at all wwwaaahhhhhhccccchhhhhhhh, needsa throw out bearinggggggggggg bahhh!!!! its the most awful sound, i drove it the rest of the way home in 3rd lol and havent touched it since.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts