1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
mostly just keeps the dirst and stuff from gettin all up in there with the clutch

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
if your starter keeps falling out then either try thread locking the bolts or your bolt holes are stripp so you would probly have to drill them and then retap them and drill the holes out a lil bigger on the starter and get bigger bolts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why would there be a backing plate on an automatic though? is there supposed to be one?? My car was originally a 5 speed and someone put an AOD in it. long story short, because my starter kept coming off the trans is ****ED and i'm putting a 5 speed in it this summer. I'm just wondering if its required on an auto too?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
the bell housing drops down below the block a good ways so if there was no plate anything could get up in there with your torque converter or clutch either one

·
Registered
141 Posts
there needs to be a backing plate there especially for the autos. the backing plate sets the depths that the converter is into the tranny(auto) if this is too tight it will wear out the thrust bearing in your motor really quickly. (stick) it sets the depth that the input shaft goes into the pilot bearing. again too much and you could be hitting your crankshaft with the input shaft of the trans. And its not likely they put it on wrong. the bolt holes and hole for the starter only line up one way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts