Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting together a motor and go to turn it over by hand.
It wont turn over. So i tear it down until only the crank, rods, and pistons should have any resistance to spinning.
Still wont spin by hand. The transmission is hooked up but not in gear and the camshafts will spin but the crank wont complete a rotation.
Could the transmission be causing the engine to bind? Because I'm not sure what else it could be.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If it's an AT then I'd unbolt the flexplate and try again to rule out the trans. If it's manual have someone else push the clutch pedal while you try turning the motor.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I found out the problem.
I think the flywheel is coming in contact with the bellhousing and causing the engine to halt.
I haven't had the chance to pull the transmission today but will be doing that asap

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, it wasn't originally attached but it's been long periods of time between each step.
I built the motor up then attached the transmission.
Long period of no work.
Go to turn it over by hand and it locks up

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it was for sure the transmission but I didnt see any nicks or gouges to indicate the flywheel was coming in contact with the bell housing. Ideas?

·
13,574 Posts
So it was for sure the transmission but I didnt see any nicks or gouges to indicate the flywheel was coming in contact with the bell housing. Ideas?
If your binding unhook the transmission to start.

I need more info Do you have timing stuff hooked up?

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Sounds like something ****y with the transmission. Does the transmission rotate on its own in neutral? Maybe the park pawl jammed up?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The timing was not hooked up when I tried spinning it but when i unhooked the transmission, the engine was able to spin again.
How do I rotate the transmission? I'm hesitant to put a pair of pliers on the input shaft

Edit: I put a pair of pliers on the shaft and it spun easily and freely. So this brings me back to the bell housing.
If anyone else has other ideas I'm all ears

It ended up being the clutch fork hitting the pressure plate because the ball stud was too long

1 - 10 of 10 Posts