Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lincoln 4.6 Engine block questions...

So lately Iv'e been looking to build my own engine. I almost landed a sweet deal but was too late.

So now ive spotted a lincoln Mark v111 that has a 32 valve 4.6l in it.

Under my initial research this engine has:
-teksid aluminum block
-has same pistons
-has same heads?

Essentially to match a cobra engine id need to
-replace crank
-do something with the cams???
-put on a different intake?

Anyways will this engine drop in with no special surprises as long as id replace the above parts? This engine is a SOHC too right?

This guy is selling the car wrecked, but it comes with complete engine and tranny. Still drives. 700$...Should i do it? Will this lincoln have most the parts needed to swap a v8 into my sixer?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Well the cobra is a 32v. And the GT is a 16v. Are you sure that has a 24v? Im not sure. But in anycase. You would have to put cobra heads on it, ANd buy the cams if the heads were incomplete. Then the supercharger/ N/a cobra intake manifold. I odnt thinks its really worth it. He says $700. But in the end you would end up paying a few grand for everything else you need to complete the swap.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i looked on Wikipedia and it says the 93-98 Lincoln Mark VIII has 4 valves per cylinder...But im unsure if the engine is a teksid block and im also unsure about the heads and the possibility of having 4 cams??

Edit: bluegt i meant to type 32 valve, i dont know what happened!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Well, 4v per cylinder is a DOHC. So thats 2 cams per cyl head. Thats 32v. Im not sure about the block design either. Its a ford motor so it would fit, but im not sure how you would set up a computer and wiring harness for it either. Just food for thought. Just to be sure if i had a good enough income i would try and save for a 96-01 cobra engine. Save you alot of money in the long run.

·
MMM JELLO!!!
905 Posts
yea just save up for a wrecked cobra bound to get a couple once in a while.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
lol the mark VIII ahave the aluminum teksid block with 4v heads. the only difference between the mark VIII and the 96-98 cobra is the intake manifold and intake cams, teh exhaust cams are the same iirc.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
yea just save up for a wrecked cobra bound to get a couple once in a while.
You don't see them pop up too often. That's why people often go with the substitutes.

But the MKVIII is a pretty good motor, fairly comparable to the 96-98 Cobra. It is a 32v DOHC motor. It has the "B heads" on it. The DOHC engines 99+ have the C heads, which are generally more desirable. Sullivan performance has a good writeup on the difference. It also has the much desired teksid block.

One of the big differences between the MKVIII motor and the Cobra are the cams and intake. The cams would make a noticable difference, and the intake would make a decent one. Both can be found regularly for a couple hundred on various forums.

Definitely check the swap thread, but it should be a good swap that will give you a good deal of power up front, as well as give you an excellent platform to make more power down the road.

EDIT: I hope this swap is for your V6.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
EDIT: I hope this swap is for your V6.
Yeah, it is... I don't dare do something like this to my saleen. The poor sixxer has some miles on it and its no big deal to rip it apart. I just want to build up an engine so i can have something to beat on at the track or street. The saleen gets babied!

So i read the writeup and it looks like its more or less a direct swap i just need to

-Replace intake
-Get new fuel rail
-will replace cams too

I know its going to be trouble to swap into a v6, but if i can manage to do it, I should be able to any kind of work on the stang.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts