Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
1 Wheel Peel
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question of the night... Between the supercoupe 3.8, stang 3.8, or f150 4.2', which block is the strongest.. I heard the super coupe block will hold the most power since it was supercharged out of the factory so thus being made of a different material..

Any truth behind this? I will have all 3 blocks in hand so that is why I ask

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Question of the night... Between the supercoupe 3.8, stang 3.8, or f150 4.2', which block is the strongest.. I heard the super coupe block will hold the most power since it was supercharged out of the factory so thus being made of a different material..

Any truth behind this? I will have all 3 blocks in hand so that is why I ask
the block itself (not including internals) the 01+ 3.8/4.2 block is the strongest.

obviously the supercoupe came with the strongest internals, your not going to make enough power to break any 3.8 block anyway. the supercoupe block however came with upgraded (larger) coolant holes (im pretty sure) in the block.

the internals are what you need to be worried about. the 94+ supercoupe had a forged crank and rods but still hyperpuetic pistons. the pistons were a little stronger than regular 3.8 pistons.

so as far as power in concerned the stock supercoupe motor can handle the most hp stock out of the 3. but any 3.8 block with aftermarket fully forged internals is going to be way stronger. i think a stock supercoupe is good until 500hp maybe? dont remember, maybe kyle can touch on this because he knows alot more about it than i do.

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
i have heard a few people say that the 01+ mustang block is the best but ive never seen any real proof.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
the 94+ supercoupe had a forged crank and rods but still hyperpuetic pistons. the pistons were a little stronger than regular 3.8 pistons.
Actually, other than the Duracast cranks that showed up in some '89 and early '90 models, all SC engines had forged crankshafts and rods, with hypereutectic pistons (it wasn't just the 94-95's). The 94-95's had slightly longer rods with shorter pistons, but they were all still forged rods/hypereutectic pistons.

·
1 Wheel Peel
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, other than the Duracast cranks that showed up in some '89 and early '90 models, all SC engines had forged crankshafts and rods, with hypereutectic pistons (it wasn't just the 94-95's). The 94-95's had slightly longer rods with shorter pistons, but they were all still forged rods/hypereutectic pistons.
Looks like it has a Duracast crank lol

oh well
more reason to run a 4.2 bottom end

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
If you're only basing that off of the year of the block, I'd recommend checking it out first. There really weren't that many Duracast crank'd SC engines produced. I've had 9 SC's/XR7's (and easily over 15 SC engines), and only one of my 89's turned out to have a Duracast crank.

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts

·
1 Wheel Peel
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you're only basing that off of the year of the block, I'd recommend checking it out first. There really weren't that many Duracast crank'd SC engines produced. I've had 9 SC's/XR7's (and easily over 15 SC engines), and only one of my 89's turned out to have a Duracast crank.
Any easy way to figure it out by a number on the block? Any other way... I want to find out asap and its on a tire right now so it would be a tad difficult to get it off

·
Banned
12,740 Posts

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
Any easy way to figure it out by a number on the block? Any other way... I want to find out asap and its on a tire right now so it would be a tad difficult to get it off
It's pretty easy to tell by looking at the crank itself. I've heard that, if it still has the original crank pulley on it, the part number should end in -CA if it's a Duracast and -CB if it's a forged crank, but I can't confirm that.

·
1 Wheel Peel
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Will do.. Anything would be a plus considering I didn't buy it for the short block.
Motor still seems pretty clean for a salvaged motor

Edit: all these blocks have same bolt patterns for the heads right? I don't see why not but just figured I would make sure

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts