Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, the oil pump gave out after 165k miles on my '89 gt and main and rod bearings are donezo.

sooooo... next summer i get to rebuild it, and i plan on doing it right.

i'm building on a budget, and i want to make between 350-450HP, here is my idea right now:

1.Take my block, if it is in good condition and bore it if needed
2.put these high comp pistons from summit: Federal Mogul MHP173-000 - Federal Mogul Premium Engine Rebuild Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com
3. re-use my connecting rods and get a new oem crank
4.gt-40p heads, put some new springs and maybe valves
5.re-use my explorer intake with 70mm TB
6.trick flow stage 1 cam
7.get some 24-30lb injectors and matching mass air flow sensor, of course fuel pump.
8. gt40p specific long tubes.

what do you guys think? does anyone have a similar setup? i'm up for suggestions, or comments

anyone have some gt40p heads laying around for sale?

·
Registered
191 Posts
you don't need that big of an injector setup. nice to have if you plan on doing more mods down the road but thats kinda overkill

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, 30# are for future upgrades. i hope to ditch the gt40p's one day and my explorer intake and get some TFS twisted wedge heads and matching intake. 30#'s will be for future mods. but you don't think they will effect my setup at the moment do you?

One question I had was will those high compression pistons i was looking at interfere with my valves? i know they have valve reliefs but i want to be sure, ya know?

also, is there any advantages or disadvantages on going oversized bearings on the mains or rods? i am thinking about getting my crank machined and going oversized rather than buying a new crank.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
i think all long tubes fit the GT40ps fine. It is the shorties that have the problem with spark plug interference...

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
even just 350hp is a stretch for what you have listed...maybe about 310ish....275ish to the wheels

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.