Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how hard it is to build your engine yourself, meaning taking it apart and putting in forged internals and such. I would like to build my motor up to handle over 500rwhp. Is it something I can do or would you recommend having a mechanic do it. Can it be done with the motor in the car? Also, my motor has 112,xxx miles on it. Would it be worth building up or not? Any information or advice would be great. Also, do the kits come with detailed instructions?

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
im guessing it shouldnt be too hard but i havent done it i have only gotten as far as the heads but im sure i would have been able to continue if i had the cash to do it you just need to proper tools for installing the pistons to hold the rings in while you put then into the block some torque wrenches a cherry picker, engine build stand, engine building grease and a few other parts and tools and im sure they will be detailed enough for you just take your time and do it right

·
Registered
689 Posts
i got a very good video off ebay on how to disassemble and reassemble a 4.6/5.4 modular engine. get it and that will answer a lot of ur questions as well as a reference for everything that has to be done.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
with your level of experience I get from your post,do not attempt it(no offense intended) buy a shortblock and assemble from that point if you want to do the work,plus the only special tool you will need is a torque wrench.
As far as being cost effective, would it be better to buy a brand new built motor and throw it in? I have seen some kits that are over 2k and if I have it professionally installed it could get expensive and I would still have an old block and heads. Or if I buy a shortblock and forged internals and build from that point like you suggest how much money do you think I will have into it?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
well if your building it yourself(like me,dam MMR still waiting for my manley pistons) besides the tq wrench youll also need a ring compressor.. and aloooot of patience!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I wish I had the time and money to build an engine. Once I finished it I would take out my existing engine and drop in the new. Then you have the old engine to tear apart and admire the damage. Plus learn what happens after x amount of years

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
its not bad, just got to know what you are doing. these motors are a little more tideous than the ol pushrods, and more expensive to mess up on as well.

·
Bearer of Bad News
2,478 Posts
Purchase a whole new engine. Money-wise, depending on what your plans were as far as upgrades go, you could buy a crate engine pretty much ready to go for the same amount of money you might have spent in upgrades. And it'll save you a lot of asspain as well.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Purchase a whole new engine. Money-wise, depending on what your plans were as far as upgrades go, you could buy a crate engine pretty much ready to go for the same amount of money you might have spent in upgrades. And it'll save you a lot of asspain as well.
:exactly

·
Registered
378 Posts
I see you have a 99. Most will build from the Romeo block now, so that is one thing to look at, cause you will have a few things that will not change over to the new engine.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What would be a good website to look up and find a good deal on a crate engine? Are there any companies I should avoid?

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
I see you have a 99. Most will build from the Romeo block now, so that is one thing to look at, cause you will have a few things that will not change over to the new engine.
while most very high h/p motors are still built on windsor block's, the run of the mill rebuilt short block will most likely be a romeo, but the diffrences are in the bolt's connecting the top most part of the front cover to the heads & the heads themselves, so don't sweat it too much either one will be fine if you stick with your current heads (also rebuilt of course)

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
As far as being cost effective, would it be better to buy a brand new built motor and throw it in? I have seen some kits that are over 2k and if I have it professionally installed it could get expensive and I would still have an old block and heads. Or if I buy a shortblock and forged internals and build from that point like you suggest how much money do you think I will have into it?
id go with the short block and the amount will vary mostly on the type of heads you get along with the cams

check out this link mmr is a great builder and im sure you will be happy with which ever block you choose also they currently have a sale on their blocks so if your going to do it id jump on it now that way you can save some $

Modular Mustang Racing

·
Registered
979 Posts
forged rotating assymblies run you around 2k. You can get a complete short block from Coast High Performance for 2300. That is the most basic forged short block I have found. They use Probe pistons and rods, (which coast high owns). I am buying from MMR. They use manley rods and pistons, or Diamond pistons in their blocks. They run from around 2500ish. The stroker shortblock I am going to get is costing about 4100, but that has all the bells and whistles on it.(ARP rod bolts, and main studs, head studs, Fel-pro gaskets, Street/strip high flow oil pump, and ceramic coated pistons with teflon side skirts, and a windage tray.)

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
MMR is my builder of choice. Almost 4 years on my shortblock and still runs great

1 - 18 of 18 Posts