Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok if i take my short block to a machine shop/engine shop
get it blue printed/balanced arp studs, upper and lower girdles (the works) and do a 347 stroker kit, would using Ported and polished stock heads and intake manny work? i understand the extra 45 CI needs to breathe more so im wondering if it even makes sense to run the stock top end after lots of work done to them... running a custom grind cam and throwing some nitrous into it...

any opinions or tips

from what ive always believed and was told the E7 heads are worthless and its not even worth to put work in them, and i should look for gt40 heads and explorer intake manny and get those ported and polished and built up

just thinking of a low budget nitrous motor to have fun with before turbo

·
Registered
382 Posts
Don't use any of those heads on a 347.........forget an "upper girdle" - that is what an intake is and it won't stop you from spliting a block.

for a 302-306, don't put money into porting GT40 heads, unless you can find some already ported by a reputable porter - they are a good street head stock that can get a car into the low 13s or mid 12s depending on weight. The intake is a good match for the GT40 heads too.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Its pretty much useless to build a stock block 347 if you plan on going turbo. Even a home built turbo kit with a MP T70 can make enough power to split a completely stock block. Plus with all the money you'll spend paying someone else to do the work (no offense) you should be really close to having enough money for the turbo you keep talking about

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
+1 with all of the above comments, you need to ditch the stock HCI for damn sure, you need to ditch the stock block if you are going to do 347 and turbo, either of those should put you at the stock blocks limitations and going with both is just a total waste on a stock block.....and yes ditch the girdle it wont do ****, except maybe hold the broken pieces of the block together afterwards.

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
I saw almost not gain's from porting my stock heads. I believe about 1mph in the 1/4.

biggest mistake I made on this car. Cost me $300, should have put that tword heads.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea i know the stock stuff is junk, i just cant make up my mind! i know i wanna turbo thats like the final end goal is to run a boosted fox. But for a little low end budget i was thinking of doing a little engine work and hitting her with a 200 shot of giggle juice.... god

what should i start with a 4 bolt main boss 302 block or dart 2 iron block (4 bolt main ?)

·
Registered
42 Posts
just from some previous research i've done, it seems that most people agree a 200 shot can split a stock block.

i've heard great things about a dart block.

now for my personal opinion... i'd stay away from anything that involves a "temporary horsepower fix". stroking it now just cuz you want some more horses for a little while until you can afford more seems silly.. extremely tempting.. and fun.. haha but silly.

save up that extra cash and do it right the 1st time! you'll thank yourself in the long run

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
and i figured when i have the engine open, i might as well stroke it to a 347 and make more power just by doing that alone, plus the lighter stronger internals and some good top end stuff, ahhh so much MONEY!
Yes make the block thinner so when you put the turbo on it has no problems splitting it in half with low low boost :rolleyes:

Just leave the block/internals alone and buy your turbo kit and install it. Spend the money on a good tune from a very good well known tuner/shop and enjoy the driveability of the stock cam/motor with the extra 150 or so hp to the wheels and call it a day. Why dump all that money on the stroker kit and weakening your block more to only turbo the car anyways. Plus im sure your stroker won't be built with low compression for the turbo

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I'd buy the turbo, then save the money for the dart based engine of ur choice.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes make the block thinner so when you put the turbo on it has no problems splitting it in half with low low boost :rolleyes:

Just leave the block/internals alone and buy your turbo kit and install it. Spend the money on a good tune from a very good well known tuner/shop and enjoy the driveability of the stock cam/motor with the extra 150 or so hp to the wheels and call it a day. Why dump all that money on the stroker kit and weakening your block more to only turbo the car anyways. Plus im sure your stroker won't be built with low compression for the turbo
this is exactly what ive been planning, i need to stick to my plan!

·
Registered
327 Posts
well i need to build my rear end first, then drive train and then megasquirt2 so lil by lil im prepping my car for boost, im also getting ready to drop the stang off for all my other stuff to get installed
Unless you have a ton of money, the never ending 'must dos before turbo' will be 10 grand.

The stock rear end should hold up to boost unless your running some serious tire, Also, I would skip the megasquirt and go with a PRO-M Maf for your first iteration.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.