Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the well know 94 head gasket blower, they were replace at 70K now i'm at 99K and having some issues already. Did a pressure test on the radiator and it's leaking coolant out of the side of the block in between the block and heads. I had overheating problems before and don't know if I warped the heads or something else. I've been told it could be head gasket, cracked block, some other gasket etc. I'm just curious what do you guys think?

Last question: Depending on how much this cost ought to just do the 5.0 swap right? :naughty:

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I have the well know 94 head gasket blower, they were replace at 70K now i'm at 99K and having some issues already. Did a pressure test on the radiator and it's leaking coolant out of the side of the block in between the block and heads. I had overheating problems before and don't know if I warped the heads or something else. I've been told it could be head gasket, cracked block, some other gasket etc. I'm just curious what do you guys think?

Last question: Depending on how much this cost ought to just do the 5.0 swap right? :naughty:
If you have the resources do the head gasket your self 5.0's don't cost that much the best used one I seen sold for about $500 with 50k miles on it

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Sounds like its the head gasket again. Who did it last time, a shop or yourself/buddy? I would try taking it back to the shop if you had them do it to see if they will fix it.

When it was replaced, did you have the head surfaced to ensure it wasnt warped? Also, just a thought, but did you have only one side replaced maybe, and now its the other side that is going out?

Replacing the gasket isnt too bad so long as you can get the header off really, the exhaust studs are the worst part. If you've never taken an engine apart before its pretty simple, just have to have a space to do it, some time, maybe a friend, a haynes manual, and label everything. Probably looking at around $200 in parts (head bolts because they aren't reusable, gasket, oil, coolant, etc) and probably about 5-10 hrs of work depending on how fast you do it yourself.

·
R.A.D
5,413 Posts
If its the head gasket again. Go ahead and get rid of the car. As for a 5.0 swap, if you can't even diagnose this problem a SWAP would be a PITA.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The reason the '94-'95 3.8's have a problem with blown head gaskets is because the intake side head bolt holes aren't as deep as the exhaust side. The threads start at the deck surface instead of deep within the block. When the head bolts are torqued, the deck surface pulls up a slight amount, unloading the head gasket on the intake side of the deck. This combined with poor quality head gaskets caused head gasket failures. If you want to replace your head gasket again, you could try a better quality gasket. One that has an outer layer of steel , with an inner layer of copper is best. Also, ARP bolts if you can find them will help increase clamp load on the gasket. I know these techniques combined with the redesigned '96+ cylinder head deck surface (more material around the bore) and deeper threads fixed all blown head gasket problems for good. I hope they work for you too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts