Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car started idling up and down out of nowhere today. It also has like power surges while driving where it will speed up and then slow down. What should I check for? I stopped the car and started it back up about 20 minutes later and it wasn't doing it anymore.

·
Penetration before detonation
2,189 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket sound system? If so, your alternator may be working too hard to run the amperage you need. May also want to check your IAC lines (the tube coming from the front of the intake plenum to the intake itself), they may be clogged and whatnot.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
hmm.. im pretty sure that throttle body cleaner says not to be used on s/c engines or id suggest a can of it all up in your IAC.. pull it off and see what it looks like inside.. ull probably see lots of carbon deposited (it should look shiny metal inside.. not dull black) in it, if so, that's more than likely the problem.. don't know how to clean it out w/o throttle body cleaner, though..

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
hmm.. im pretty sure that throttle body cleaner says not to be used on s/c engines or id suggest a can of it all up in your IAC.. pull it off and see what it looks like inside.. ull probably see lots of carbon deposited (it should look shiny metal inside.. not dull black) in it, if so, that's more than likely the problem.. don't know how to clean it out w/o throttle body cleaner, though..
+1 that would be my guess as well

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
if im not mistaken the only cleaner you cant use on fi engines is the kind that gets sucked in...so if you take off the intake pipe from the cooler to the plenum and use some like stp sythetic tb cleaner (my personal favorite, turns carbon and gunk into liquid) it should be fine...better yet take off the tb and clean the crap out of it.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
yeah but when you use that stuff the residue gets sent through the car and burned up.. thats why i guess it says not to use on s/c engines :dunno

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
its made to be burnt though, i think it would be ok...just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
they just dont want you doing like seafoam on a sc engine...i dont know what it would do, im not fi yet, but ifyou take it out you can clean away, the minimal residue that is left will do nothing to your engine

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Has it been working fine since the blower install then poped up out of the blue?
Yeah it just started happening but after it gets warmed up and I turn the car off and back on it goes away. The t/b and plenum are like 2 months old so they shouldn't have any build up yet.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Yeah it just started happening but after it gets warmed up and I turn the car off and back on it goes away. The t/b and plenum are like 2 months old so they shouldn't have any build up yet.
yeah, but you're idle air control has been on your car from the beginning and is pretty big cause of idling issues

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
just check with somebody who would know whether or not its okay to use tb cleaner on your engine since you're s/c.. cuz when i bought my can it said in pretty big letters "not to be used on s/c engines" or something similar to that.. ask a good mechanic you trust maybe.. or the people that installed your s/c.. i just don't want you to fix the problem of a iac full of carbon deposits to only screw up your s/c

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
just check with somebody who would know whether or not its okay to use tb cleaner on your engine since you're s/c.. cuz when i bought my can it said in pretty big letters "not to be used on s/c engines" or something similar to that.. ask a good mechanic you trust maybe.. or the people that installed your s/c.. i just don't want you to fix the problem of a iac full of carbon deposits to only screw up your s/c
I installed the supercharger myself. How would it make a difference if I take the iac off and spray it out and let it all evaporate.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts