Modded Mustang Forums banner

Which way is easier to install/take out an v8?

• Pick up engine w/ cherry picker out of the engine bay?

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • Drop K-member and lift the car body up?

Votes: 6 33.3%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have had to take your engine out. I ask you this, is it easier and quicker to do it by lifting it out of the engine bay? or by droping the k-member and raising the body up? Keep in mind I will be using a lift.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I voted out the top before reading.....Drop it out the bottom, much simpler..
I'm not sure if you know but I'm am doing a v8 swap and I'm not sure about what all I need to disconnect to do this.

Would I be able to install the v8 along with my 6spd?

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
My uncle pulled the engine out of his firebird by lifting it out with his ceiling lift.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I havent pulled the engine out of my 06 but I have on many other year mustangs. I have always pulled it from the top without any problems. It depends on your equipment too.
Im going to be doing this at the hobby shop on base that has power tools, lifts and pretty much anything else I need.

I've replaced my v6 by pulling it strait out, I was just trying to see if their was an easier way.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well if you are doing both the tranny and engine, then it would be easier from the bottom. You can have tranny still connected when uninstalling and installing...

·
Skirt Chasing Philanderer
14,391 Posts
Definitally out the top... If you dropped it out of the bottom you will be taking apart all kinds of stuff that you don't need to.

Minimizing work FTMFW!!

·
Skirt Chasing Philanderer
14,391 Posts
Definitally out the top... If you dropped it out of the bottom you will be taking apart all kinds of stuff that you don't need to.

Minimizing work FTMFW!!

·
Safud: MM's Resident Hadji
5,242 Posts

Minimizing work FTMFW!!

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts

Minimizing work FTMFW!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
i have only dropped one out the bottom ut that was because we were taking the axles off the truck and took the motor and all the front undercarriage with it

Do it from the top much easier.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok. Out the top it is which is exactly what my original plan called for. Thanks guys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.