Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2002 gt and as the title says the mileage has hit that magic number...i would love to replace the engine with a 4v is there anything i should be concerned about when doing this? or is this generally a bad idea?

and in case anyone is thinking it...no im not going to rebadge my car I just want to give it some new kick

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
i have a 2002 gt and as the title says the mileage has hit that magic number...i would love to replace the engine with a 4v is there anything i should be concerned about when doing this? or is this generally a bad idea?

and in case anyone is thinking it...no im not going to rebadge my car I just want to give it some new kick
it would be alot cheaper to just build what you have.. you drop 5k into your car and it will be faster then a stock 4v your looking at putting in it

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
you can get a 4v for under 3K, and go from there if thats the way you wanna go, get some forged internals and build the motor you have, buy a KB and youll be in business, but certain things will have to be bulked up

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok so if i chunk down 3k on the engine aside from brakes what else needs to be changed are the two engines radically diffrent?? or just a lil diffrent

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Just buy some forged internals... 100k in no biggie for these modular motors, they're beasts and last a long time.

The 1st thing to usually go on our engines are the rods... so to solve that before it will ever have the chance to happen... buy a nice forged rotating assembly.

Maybe later on, buy some heads and cams

·
Resident Bubblehead
6,190 Posts
my engine had about 102k and a rod bearing **** itself. that was in September. car's almost back on the road...

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
100k... psh thats nothing... start counting your money and set up a private bank account that the wifey doesn't know about and transfer a few bucks every now and then and do a nice little swap next winter

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
ive HEARD that the swap is not a biggie. you can get one for under 3k and even if you dont have more power than you would if you built yours, you would def have a far better starting ground.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so much good advice but its pulling me in two diffrent directions lol

how much are forged internals and what do they cost to install if anyone has had it done?

same question for a engine swap?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
The biggest thing here is time and how well equiped your shop is? I went with a long block assembly out of a box. It save me a lot of time, and while I have very well equiped shop, all machine work would have to farmed out. And A good machine shop is costly. If the oil has been change at regular intervals 100k is nothing mine came out the at 100k and miked nearly to factory specs. Hope this helps

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
do a big bore on it with forged internals. Would put you at a stronger spot and more power!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
upgrade your rods & pistons, get the heads ported, throws some aggresive cams in it and bust some ass on motor

or stick a power adder on after and crank that bitch

·
Resident Bubblehead
6,190 Posts
so much good advice but its pulling me in two diffrent directions lol

how much are forged internals and what do they cost to install if anyone has had it done?

same question for a engine swap?
i paid $1795 for a forged rotating assembly from Sean Hyland Motorsport. i got Manley pistons (17cc, 0.020" over bore), Manley H beam rods, a forged 8 bolt Cobra crank, and Federal Mogul main and rod bearings and piston rings. Shipping ran about 120 for me, and balancing is extra. as far as the install, i'm probably looking at about 2500 for the labor involved...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts