Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
3v reppin'
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine is knocking when I accelerate hard... like when I'm really pushing it. Any suggestions?

·
Blood, Sweat and Gears...
2,139 Posts
To lean, oil sucking by the Pvc which lowers Octane, Bad gas, un-metered air because of a loose throttle body.

·
3v reppin'
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To lean, oil sucking by the Pvc which lowers Octane, Bad gas, un-metered are because of a loose throttle body.
Got an SCT tuner, should I contact bama about changing the fuel ratio so it won't be so lean?

Also, is it wise to get one of those Oil Catch cans that I'm seeing?

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
A catch can is never a bad idea. It's a good cheap insurance against blow-back. That being said, I have no idea what would cause your engine to do that. So, I'm sorry I was not helpful...

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
is it knocking or detonation?

·
Registered
961 Posts
are you sure its knocking? could be an exhaust leak

·
Registered
386 Posts
I can't give you the answer, but I have had the same thing happen from time to time, specially if I am in a lower gear and punch the pedal a little in low RPMs. It's not the exhaust, at least not in my case. I have never heard it during "normal" driving. The sound reminds me of an old car vale knocking sound.

·
2,139 Posts
Last year I fought pinging for the whole summer. I went to the dyno 5 times to try to get the problem corrected. This spring I install a set of CMDP's in the process I found that the FRPP throttle body had only the top 2 nuts on that fasten the base to my Intake manifold. There was a gap where there was some unmetered air being sucked in. After finding this my pinging problem disappeared

·
3v reppin'
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm pretty sure it's knocking, just no real clue why. What's the difference in "knocking" and "detonation"?

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
did you mess with your tune?

I bet you are maxing out your 87 octane fuel and need to switch to a higher octane fuel.... bet that fixes it

·
2,139 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's knocking, just no real clue why. What's the difference in "knocking" and "detonation"?
Knocking could be a exhaust pipe hitting the floor or something fitting something. Pre-detonation is what you are talking about, I know a lot of people talk about knocking/pinging as pre-detonation. I knew what you were talking about though.

Reactions: Taxman

·
Registered
288 Posts
When I fist got my tune I had some ping with only 1 gas station, starts with S and ends with Hell, other gas would not ping. I kinda thought Shell was one of the best? I called the guy who did the tune and we backed off the timing advance.

·
3v reppin'
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
did you mess with your tune?

I bet you are maxing out your 87 octane fuel and need to switch to a higher octane fuel.... bet that fixes it
I installed the 93 octane tune and have been running 93 octane ever since, except one time when the premium was out of order. Seems like it's been doing for several tanks of gas now though.

When I fist got my tune I had some ping with only 1 gas station, starts with S and ends with Hell, other gas would not ping. I kinda thought Shell was one of the best? I called the guy who did the tune and we backed off the timing advance.
Yeah I got some Shell gas the last few times. I've just got a mail order Bama tune though, so I wouldn't have the first clue what to tell them. I guess I oughta call them.

Knocking could be a exhaust pipe hitting the floor or something fitting something. Pre-detonation is what you are talking about, I know a lot of people talk about knocking/pinging as pre-detonation. I knew what you were talking about though.
Thanks... I guess I sound like a real idiot on these forums sometimes. Repping ya for the explanation. I really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Try a different gas. Run a few tanks through it, driving easy until it gets flushed out. I've seen a lot of driveability issues with Shell gas.

·
3v reppin'
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Try a different gas. Run a few tanks through it, driving easy until it gets flushed out. I've seen a lot of driveability issues with Shell gas.
That's probably my problem then. Thanks.

·
cammed, geared, and blown
1,919 Posts
Last year I fought pinging for the whole summer. I went to the dyno 5 times to try to get the problem corrected. This spring I install a set of CMDP's in the process I found that the FRPP throttle body had only the top 2 nuts on that fasten the base to my Intake manifold. There was a gap where there was some unmetered air being sucked in. After finding this my pinging problem disappeared
After all that time and trouble, that was what the issue was?!?!
jeez...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Really with Shell ??? The Shell a few blocks from here is at a Circle K, I had thought somehow Circle k was maybe using a lower grade gas, or the guy who fills the tanks is an ...

·
2,139 Posts
I installed the 93 octane tune and have been running 93 octane ever since, except one time when the premium was out of order. Seems like it's been doing for several tanks of gas now though.

Yeah I got some Shell gas the last few times. I've just got a mail order Bama tune though, so I wouldn't have the first clue what to tell them. I guess I oughta call them.

Thanks... I guess I sound like a real idiot on these forums sometimes. Repping ya for the explanation. I really appreciate it.
"Sound like an idiot", thats my job :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts