Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
3,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO today i was driving home and got on the motor for fun.... Anyways now i have a freaking knock and it does not sound like valve train, the car even runs fine i can drive it and everything the knocking only starts at 2500 rpms... And its more like a clacking sound. I was looking up vids on youtube some say spun bearing, i know my throw-out bearing was makin a squeaking noise for awhile could it be this? Its weird, Cause the car even still pulls fine when i drive it. It just makes a loud really loud clacking noise.. Any help would be great please

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Hard to tell from the video.. if it were a rod or main bearing, I think it would be a louder, deeper knock....

Again, hard to tell from the video, are you sure it's not an exhaust leak?

Also have you looked at the oil on the dipstick, not just to see if it's full, but is it foamy at all? And is she smoking at all, either on start up, or under load, and if so, what color is the smoke?

See if you can score a video with the camera under the hood, rev it up and down in neutral, if it's a rod/main bearing, it will be pretty loud under the hood.

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
:(Damn dude, That sucks. I hope it's not that bad.

Look at it this way though, now you can forge out your shortblock.;)

·
Banned
3,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah its really loud under the hood. but it still has no loss in power or drivability so does this rule anything out? i checked the oil and it was low but it still does that horrible sound around 2500rpms

·
Banned
3,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These things burn oil bad? And i did. Idk its not as bad but its still knocking

·
Registered
328 Posts
When my car threw a rod it started as a light tap, drove it for 3 weeks like that and it just got louder and louder. It never gave out on me before i got the PI motor in but it was close. I dont like what your descibing here, dont sound good......I feel your pain but hey, excuse to drop a PI motor in. Is the car holding oil pressure? Just because it is full of oil dont mean its holding pressure.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Get us a video of it running with the hood up and the camera pointed at the engine compartment. You may have a bad rod or main bearing. Probably rod. This won't cause it to run bad, as it doesn't really affect the fuel or ignition system... it's just that the bearing between the connecting rod large end, and where it bolts to the crank rod journal, has gone bad. If that's the case, sooner or later it will come apart, which usually results in sudden catastrophic engine failure, IE a connecting rod through your oil pan, and/or a broken engine block.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
When my car threw a rod it started as a light tap, drove it for 3 weeks like that and it just got louder and louder. It never gave out on me before i got the PI motor in but it was close. I dont like what your descibing here, dont sound good......I feel your pain but hey, excuse to drop a PI motor in. Is the car holding oil pressure? Just because it is full of oil dont mean its holding pressure.
wen u say a light tap, wat do you meen? like would you hear it constantly or on deceleration or aceleration, thanx for info.

·
RIP Dennis
76,434 Posts
Definitely a rod knocking...

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
no not neccisarly, u can just isolate which rod is bad and replace it, BUT since your engine is gnna be all taken apart you might wana consider replacing all the rods and pretty much the sky is the limit if you wana stay stock or forge all your internals.

·
Registered
328 Posts
wen u say a light tap, wat do you meen? like would you hear it constantly or on deceleration or aceleration, thanx for info.
Well I got on the car hard from a stop sign and when I shifted into 2nd I heard a snap noise, like a loud finger snap. After that the car made a light tapping noise like lifter tick. Did it all the time and the more load on the motor the louder it got. Over time it became more of a deep knock like in the OP's vid

·
Banned
3,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey how long did it take to swap the 04 pi motor in your car, and will my computer and everything on my 98 gt work with 99-04 pi engines

1 - 20 of 22 Posts