Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I just put a new 3.8 in my 96 mustang and drove it for 4 days and decided to put new plugs in the next day it created a nasty knock the plugs the parts store gave me were about a quarter inch longer or so I'm upset about this since I bought a used motor that ran great converted my auto into a manual now I have to get another new motor any ideas on what could of happened to motor hasn't been abused since install rattle started in top end now its in the bottom thanks for any input

·
1 Wheel Peel
3,747 Posts
So your saying the piston was hitting the plug?

If so then the plug should be bent a bit.. Show me picture... Just be thankful our motors are cheaper than dirt

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It kinda sounds like a main bearing or something how do u post pictures ill take some tomorrow and upload them after I pull motor out maybe time to build a stroker?

·
1 Wheel Peel
3,747 Posts
Upload onto photobucket then post img link onto here... You could probably pick up a super coupe motor for 400-500bucks.. Mine was 400 with just over 60k on it

·
Registered
730 Posts
:eek: id be droppin bombssss

when i first read this it sounded like the spark plugs were probably just too long.... do a compression check if you think its a main bearing

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ill do that tomorrow was just trying to figure out if compression test would work I thought that only does good if u have bad rings either way ill give it a try this is my first ford I've worked on I'm a mopar guy but I like this stang

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok well i pulled the plugs today didnt bother taking pics of them they have the same gap as the other brand new set i bought for a different mustang and compression seems to be good but i found out today that when i was putting it in and it wouldnt fire from all the gas draining into the bottom of my motor is prolly the reason for a bad bearing now that i have my replacement engine running i start ripping them apart to install new engine

·
Registered
730 Posts
:wtf how many motors do you have laying around

·
1 Wheel Peel
3,747 Posts
ok well i pulled the plugs today didnt bother taking pics of them they have the same gap as the other brand new set i bought for a different mustang and compression seems to be good but i found out today that when i was putting it in and it wouldnt fire from all the gas draining into the bottom of my motor is prolly the reason for a bad bearing now that i have my replacement engine running i start ripping them apart to install new engine
That is quite the sentence there. Lol

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:wtf how many motors do you have laying around
i have 5 engines. 2 from a 94, 2 from a 96, and and the one with bad bearings the 2 94's wont work for anything i want since engine mounts are wrong so there for sale. 1 of the 96 motors is from a cougar its for sale since it has the wrong mounts too. also have 2 wrecked 94's, a wrecked 98, and 2 very nice 96's

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
You know you could just bolt the Mustang mounts on to those other engines and they'll bolt right in, right?

·
Registered
730 Posts
i have 5 engines. 2 from a 94, 2 from a 96, and and the one with bad bearings the 2 94's wont work for anything i want since engine mounts are wrong so there for sale. 1 of the 96 motors is from a cougar its for sale since it has the wrong mounts too. also have 2 wrecked 94's, a wrecked 98, and 2 very nice 96's
put them all together and make a mustang limo :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You know you could just bolt the Mustang mounts on to those other engines and they'll bolt right in, right?
Actually I tried to but since where the mounts bolt to the block are different they don't work. I would have to change out kmembers and that's no fun at all

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
The bolting bosses on the block didn't change over the years. You have to use the complete mount with upper and lower brackets.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The bolting bosses on the block didn't change over the years. You have to use the complete mount with upper and lower brackets.
Then I must have 3 very weird engines the 96 and newer have a longer engine mount with 4 bolts and 94, 95 have 3 closer together and the 94 engine mount out of the stang sits about 2 inches farther forward then my 96. The kmembers are different also do to the fact the first 2 years of this style had the 5.0 and 96 had the 4.6 so they had to change things

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
I'm not disputing the change in the engine mounts, those changed to fit the different K-members. The bolting bosses on the blocks however remained the same through the years.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok I guess I didn't read it correct sorry if I seem like a d**k but this car is making me very upset since I had to drive 4 hours one way to get my engine and it didn't last very long since I didn't have my wire harness I couldn't use a older motor since there obd and not obd2

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
If you transfer your sensors and harness over to the older engines, they will work. The '96 Cougar engine would be the best/easiest choice to drop in.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you transfer your sensors and harness over to the older engines, they will work. The '96 Cougar engine would be the best/easiest choice to drop in.
I'm going to use the other 96 mustang engine since I'm gutting it and putting a 4.6 in it with a tubular kmemeber for a road and track car

1 - 19 of 19 Posts