Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an '06 GT 5spd about 5 months ago and love the h*** out of it. Installed Ford Racing adjustable suspension kit and Nitto NT 555 Extreme tires(285 on rear and 255 on the front) and now need help on what to do next. Big fan of road tracking and not real big into straight line racing but need advice on engine mods to start with and whether to go Super or Turbo for road track. I'm thinking of Steeda CAI and wing as well as SCT Tuner, am going to hold off on TB until I get new manifold, and possibly a cheaper turbo such as an on3. Also which gears to go with top speed is important to me. Any advice would be great thank you in advance

·
Registered
258 Posts
I would go neither super nor turbo for open track. I would focus and stay in NA. More reliable, less heat, and less trouble in tuning. I would drive the car at open track a few times before you start modding. This way you can identify where the car is lacking and go from there. Also, with what you have on it, you will want to and need to adjust it so it suits your driving style.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I would shoot for where you will use the car most, your budget, driving style and goals. I have a 2012 Boss. It has more than enough power to move through the course. In fact, at smaller courses, it may be just a tad over powered. I would just stay away from forced induction, too many horror stories of FI cars blowing on course. Shelbys, ZR1s, etc. Plus its more fun to blow by the higher HP cars on course in your stock car. Like i did at Summit point. Got several point bys from Shelbys, cobras, and a some other cars. Hell at CMP this last time i got the point by from a GT3 :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
My way of looking at things is N/A best but if you are going to boost then a centrifugal because it a linear power curve. Blowers when your car has no tq and you need it , and turbos for street / drag because its the most efficient way to get power.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like the idea of staying N/A for couple of reasons, stress on the engine mostly, and secondly only had the car for 6 months(99 explorer before) and thats a lot of power w/ FI!! Plan on going for 350rwhp and starting with BBk ceramic LT and o/r X, C&L racer CAI and Bama tuner. Hear a lot of mixed advice about getting a TB with as little HP as I'm pushing.

PS: Very impressive Smillie those GT3's are beasts!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I got around the GT3 because the owner was too scared to use it. i don't think he got over 120. A point by is a point by tho :)

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Listen to smillieboy,

i went turbo for a few months and removed all the turbo stuff to go back to NA
if u want to road race your car turbo is way to unconsistant

off boost she was a pony
on boost she was a monster!

like he mentioned as well underhood temps were out of control!
and coolant temp was always above 200 degrees even with a 180 theromostat , aluminum radiator, electric fan, ceramic coated hotside piping, and a turbo blanket

stay all motor, id say save your money on engine modding and focus on the chassis and suspension

another thing those nitto 555r are for drag racing so id say swap them for nitto nto05s all the way around and run the same tire width all four

you want to make your car consistant and predictable

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agree with staying NA going to stay away from FI. Bought the Nitto Extreme tires built for road racing don't how they compare to other race tires but they seem to be good, would like the steering to be a bit heavier. And am thinking about selling the 285's and going 255 all the way around b/c like said above I do feel the car "pushing" through curves

·
Registered
171 Posts
stay NA, my last track day I was passing 2 R8s. probably because the driver wen'rt pushing but i like to think it was cuz my car was just better

1 - 12 of 12 Posts