Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
1993 Mustang LX 2.3L
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, fellow members, I have a quick question: my Mustang has 8 spark plugs instead of 4, and everytime I go to Autozone to buy new plugs, the associates give me this weird look when I say I have 8 not 4. So, is this a rarity or is this just a fluke?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Not rare, not a fluke. Your car has a dual plug head that was built for several years. The guys at Autozone must not be Ford 2.3 savvy.

·
Banned
3,511 Posts
It's a wastespark style ignition system. One side bank of plugs is main spark and the other bank ignites to basically clear out any unburned fuel left in the cylinder. Most people at parts stores don't know ****. Trust me, I used to work the parts counter before I got into the dealerships. I worked with some dumb people. Alot of the stores like to hire retail people rather than car people. They're worried more about sales figures than getting people who know their ****.

Example: Back when I was working at Advance Auto Parts, someone came in with a '93 ranger 2.3. They went up to another guy I worked with asking how to do the timing belt. They brought the timing cover in and the guy I worked with was looking at the plastic mold marks (the ones that look kinda like clocks).

I immediately recognized the timing cover when they brought it in and was sitting there watching the whole thing. Eventually I got fed up with it and cut in and told them exactly how to do the job. They brought the truck up half an hour later to thank me.

·
1993 Mustang LX 2.3L
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, so, say if I changed it to a engine that had only four spark plugs, would the mpg be affected? I am looking for ways to improve my mpg; not looking for more power, just mpg.

·
Banned
3,511 Posts
Wastespark system is good for fuel economy. Shave the head to increase compression, etc.

You should really talk to OHC230 (Or look for the thread Hyper-Milling in a Mustang) about it. He had one of his getting around 40mpg. Haven't seen him in a while though, he's been busy.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Yea, basically your best bet is to get it in good tune to increase your mileage.

You should definitely do a budget analysis on costs before digging/modifying to deep for extra mileage.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Arummel, the waste spark system doesnt use one side for ignition and one side for cleanup. You can use waste spark on a 4 plug engine (IE the dodge 4 cyls for years). Waste spark means that 2 plugs fire at the same time. One is positive polarity and the other is negative. On waste spark there are always 2 spark plugs per coil (2 coils per coil pack on most). The 2.3 with 8 plugs fire bot plugs on the compression stroke about 10* ignition timing separates them.

As the OP asks, no its normal. And if the parts store guys look at the screen, it says they require 8 plugs.

·
1993 Mustang LX 2.3L
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am part of a website called ecomodder.com and they have all kind of hyper-milling tips, but no on on the site has a Mustang even close to my year or body style. \

I tried searching for the hyper-milling thread you spoke about, Mikel, but I couldn't turn anything up.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just for clarification... In cylinder 1, both spark plugs fire at the same time. There isn't a delay between the intake spark and exhaust spark.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
yes there is, there is a slight difference, they dont always fire at exactly the same time. They are designed to fire one right before the other.

·
six shooter
247 Posts
Yes, it's normal. The second set of plugs fire slightly after the first set to help burn everything. The parts guys shouldn't argue with you. The computer should tell them what parts to pull after you give them the vehicle information. They don't need to think, they just grab the parts.

My Ranger has 8, and I have a 1991 2.3L with 8. My '87 and the SVO have four, but they both have distributors, not coil packs. I'm not 100% sure on when they switched to the 8 plug head. I thought it was in 1987 on the Mustang until I bought my coupe a few days ago.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
I have a 93 with the dualplug head. It was 89 in rangers and 91 in stangs when they changed.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
They used the 8 plug in 88 as well in the Rangers, maybe even 87.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
I had an 88 ranger and it was 4 plug.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
hmm, i could be wrong then! I was pretty sure it was 88 when they made the switch, maybe it was a mid year change??

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
That very well could be. I think this had an 87 production date?

·
six shooter
247 Posts
I hate to quote Wikipedia, but...

1989–1992
The truck received a facelift for 1989, which included flush composite headlamps, new front fenders, hood, and grille, along with some upgrades to the frame. Inside, there was a modern new dashboard and steering column.
The new steering column included, on automatic transmission-equipped models, a column-mounted gear shift, and key removal on manual transmission models became a simpler, one-handed operation. Manual-equipped 1983–88 models had the key release button beneath the column on the left-hand side, requiring drivers to use both hands to remove the key.
Rear-wheel antilock brakes were added, and a 21 US gal (79 L; 17 imp gal) fuel tank was now optional on extended-cab models.
The 2.0 L engine was discontinued, and the 2.3 L now had a distributor-less ignition system with two spark plugs per cylinder, giving it a 14 hp (10 kW) boost and better fuel economy.[6] The three-speed automatics were dropped, leaving only the A4LD. The new 160 hp (119 kW) 4.0 L Cologne V6 was added to the option list for all models in 1990. It was introduced to replace the 2.9 L Cologne in rear-wheel drive and 4x4 trucks. With the new engines, the only manual transmission available was the 5-speed M5OD-R1.
The Ranger GT was discontinued, although the Ford Truck Public Affairs office did build a prototype for 1990 powered by a 3.0 L SHO V6.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Ranger_(North_America)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
lol wiki is the bible! HAHA that place has its moments, but its a joke.

I believe this one though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts