Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Mustang GT 4speed and i'm thinking of buying one of our surplus Crown Vick patrol cars to swap the engine out into the GT while I build the original engine.

I have 2 questions tho.

First; what years are a direct bolt in without running into compatability issues for the 4.6?

Second; Are the cranshafts of the automatic trans equiped Crown Vicks already drilled out for the pilot shaft bearings?

·
Registered
414 Posts
modular motors. It will bolt up, and yes the crank would have a recess for a pilot bearing. Auto cars do not need them. I am just guessing it's a 4 speed auto? Why not just build an engine out of a crown vic then you only have to do the swap once rather than twice?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know the automatic cars don't need a pilot shaft bushing and that's why I asked if the automatic equiped engines had the hole for the bearing and the input shaft already drilled or if the factory didn't pre-drill the cranks on auto trans cars to save money.

When I used to build 60's and 70's era Mopars the automatic equiped cars had the hole partially pre-drilled for the input shaft and the bearing but they were not drilled all the way out and you would have to use a special bushing and deepen the hole for the input shaft.

Dodge didn't spend the money to finish drilling the holes in an effort to save money. I didn't know if Ford did the same or if all the cranks were drilled out.

Why don't I build the CV engine you asked? I just want to keep the original engine with the car.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can also get a fairly cheap Crown Vick engine with 80K miles, drop it into my GT and drive it for another 40 or 50K and take my time in re-building the original engine which just turned 98K.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
How many miles are on your motor? How much power are you wanting?

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
No one will ever know the motor is different. Casting marks should all be the same. All 4.6 2V PI motors are identical.... with the exception of a few minor details. Timing covers valve covers etc..... they are all the same internals. Can you swap in a Vic motor fairly painless? Yes. You'll need to swap the accessory drive and timing cover along with a few other details depending upon the year CV the motor comes from.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts