Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a question for you 5.0 guys. in the next 6 months to a year i going to be buying a fox with a good body and i want to rebuild it because i love the foxs. its going to be a weekend car to play with and it will be a stepping stone before i rebuild a 67 fastback in a few years. the question is, how hard would it be to rebuild the engine myself? im going to have it bored and i want to do the reat of the engine build myself. is there a company that i can but a rebuild kit from? do you think i will be able to assemble it myself?

thanks guys!

·
Banned
3,784 Posts
yep, you can do it. Just get a good Haynes or Chiltons manual, and know all the torque specs and such...

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sweet. well do you have any companies that sell rebuild kits or anything? i want to upgrade the heads and obviously the pistens and everything since im going to have it bored, and i think im going to keep it N/A but there is a posibility i will s/c it. any reconmendations where i can but all the parts and stuff?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
summit racing . com sells engine rebuild kits with forged pistons for $ 550 bucks

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
summit racing . com sells engine rebuild kits with forged pistons for $ 550 bucks
sweet man, thanks alot that really helps!

im definatly gunna rebuild it myself to save some money!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just a thought here. I am doing the same thing with my 82 thought I would save some money doing it myself. After you are done with the machine work and heads with the parts you can easily have 11 to 1200.00 in a engine. I shop quite a bit on ebay and I see these motors all the time already built with a warrenty for 1500.00 new intake water pump etc I only wish I would have looked around before I put all the money and time into mine. I would be driving it now instead of building. . good luck and anyway somtimes its more fun to do it yourself.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
i can get you a whole tear down process and rebuild process write from ALL DATA

·
Registered
39 Posts
sweet man, thanks alot that really helps!

im definatly gunna rebuild it myself to save some money!

Yeah Summit Racing - High Performance Car and Truck Parts | 800-230-3030 will have it.

Good luck to you. I'm nervous to rebuild my engine i'm no expert. I may be a sissy and have it rebuilt for me. Trans I can do and suspensions. But engines if your a hair off you could blow alot of money on an engine and end up blowing it up yourself in a few seconds. Its been 15 years since I tried rebuilding a Monte SS the first time and blew it up in a day and learned my lesson on Piston 101 spacing. Has to buy a new motor and start all over. I leave it to the experts now. Unless theres an idiots guide to rebuilding motors. I like to use the "K.I.S.S." Theroy "Keep It Simple Stupid!" LOL

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a thought here. I am doing the same thing with my 82 thought I would save some money doing it myself. After you are done with the machine work and heads with the parts you can easily have 11 to 1200.00 in a engine. I shop quite a bit on ebay and I see these motors all the time already built with a warrenty for 1500.00 new intake water pump etc I only wish I would have looked around before I put all the money and time into mine. I would be driving it now instead of building. . good luck and anyway somtimes its more fun to do it yourself.
ok thanks man i will look into that.

i can get you a whole tear down process and rebuild process write from ALL DATA
couple you PM that to me. im planning on buying an engine first if i can find one and then finding a donor car. could you PM me the instructions? thanks man!

Yeah Summit Racing - High Performance Car and Truck Parts | 800-230-3030 will have it.

Good luck to you. I'm nervous to rebuild my engine i'm no expert. I may be a sissy and have it rebuilt for me. Trans I can do and suspensions. But engines if your a hair off you could blow alot of money on an engine and end up blowing it up yourself in a few seconds. Its been 15 years since I tried rebuilding a Monte SS the first time and blew it up in a day and learned my lesson on Piston 101 spacing. Has to buy a new motor and start all over. I leave it to the experts now. Unless theres an idiots guide to rebuilding motors. I like to use the "K.I.S.S." Theroy "Keep It Simple Stupid!" LOL
thanks man, i really want to try it myself. i figure if i do all the reaserch first and know what im going and take me time and not try and rush, and with posting on here for help with everything i will be fine. Im not doing it myself just to save money, im doing it for fun and experience. my dream is to rebuild a 67 fastback, this will be a good experience and stepping stone toward that goal. i know its not the same engine, but at least i will have had the experience in rebuilding an engine. and i cant afford to do a frame up resto on a 67 like i want, so this will be a great stepping stone and alot of fun and experience. so ya thats why

1 - 9 of 9 Posts