Modded Mustang Forums banner

engine service light (camshaft position)

2K views 34 replies 9 participants last post by  madmike223 
#1 ·
So my engine service light popped up earlier...had a friend run the code and it was

Camshaft position A/Bank 1 circuit malfunction....how much is this going to run...i was planning on do a big car maintanence to begin with just not this soon..

2002 mustang GT

#3 ·
its behind the ac pump. it is a cheap senser and is easily damaged. its nothing more than a magnet so it can pick up and matalic shavings in your motor and make it register wrong. to replace it pull the serp belt off and back out the 3 bolts holding the ac in place. there is a single bolt holding the crank shaft position senser in the timing cover.

#9 ·
After i ran the code from my friends reader i went to start...and it didn't start up the first time...2nd time did it again nothing...third time it started after i cranked it

#14 ·
Just replaced it today! $150 including labor....but its back to normal so I am a happy camper

thank you all who helped and reps!

#15 ·
ok probably celebrated to early....service engine light came on again later in the day and what do you know IT WAS THE SAME PROBLEM so either A) they guy never put in a new sensor B) its my alternator...

either way im pissed off

#17 ·
Yikes! you need to learn how to work on a car lol I'm a total noob and I was able to swap the cam sensor myself, its just a quick unbolt of the PS res and there it is. That was not a $150 job. But yeah I think EVERYONE with this issue tries the cam sensor before getting the alternator done in hopes of saving money but like 99% of the time it seems to be the alternator lol. Like stated, either get a new one or just have yours repaired if it's cheaper. They're very easy to install and uninstall, all the bolts are visible

#18 ·
going to go back tomorrow and have them do it for free...well i hope they fix it for free because the job was not done right

#19 ·
looks like your 99% of the time its the alternative was right....i have a faulty diod in my alternator...and for the sake of convenience i went ahead and had my mechanic order one for me and i will be getting my car back tomorrow

#21 ·
If someone chipped the car from before could that be another reason it be throwing codes? just talked to my mechanic and is saying that the computer in my car is not recognizing the sensor chip so i might need an ECU reprogrammed from the ford dealership??

#22 ·
You probably just need an alternator, a lot of mechanics will try to come up with a wild excuse for his mistake rather than admitting to his lack of wisdom. Your PCM isn't reading the camshaft position sensor because it's in wired series with the alternator, and presently your alternator has decided that life is not worth living anymore.

#24 ·
3/8" drive socket wrench and a few sockets I believe. Turn the belt tensioner so that it releases pressure on the serpentine belt, slip the belt off of the alternator pulley, unbolt the alternator (4 on top bracket, 2 going into the engine on the bottom, and the power output terminal at the top) and unclip the 3-pin harness with a flathead, swap in a new alternator and replace the belt. That's really about it, it should take around 15-20 minutes.

#25 ·
ok well I heard him wrong on the phone and he did put a new alternator in... just payed for that and no labor total was $252...I however STILL have a hard start up

bad as in i crank it and it starts then dies...start it up again it it runs but its weak for the first 4-5 seconds

so either i need new spark plugs? dirty MAF? bad coils? Any other reasons for this? car has 98,000+ miles on it

#27 ·
yeah I can till its new has not thrown a code since i have been driving it so far... the "service engine light" only shows when you initially turn the car on..but once the engine is on it does not show anymore

#28 ·
ok so the same thing is happening to me. my car has always had trouble turning over when starting sometimes. then about a month ago i changed the battery cuz the car wouldnt start at all and it started right back up but it still has the occasional problems turning over. now im getting this p0340 cam shaft code. so is this my alternator or the cam shaft sensor?

#29 ·
I had that code on my car for about a year and my car stumbled as well just 2 weeks ago it went out for good but a alt in it and it went away along with the p1000 code ... Try this in the morning pop your hood w/o turning on your car put your hand on the alternator if it's rather warm or hot it's pulling current and your fixing to need a new one

#30 ·
i have the p1000 code also. so your saying its the alternator? i was worried it had something to do scrapping my headers all the time.

#33 ·
still have this check engine light and cant find the camshaft sensor. when i start up my car it sputers and dies sometimes. also ive noticed that when i turn on my hid headlights the wipers got really slow and i could tell it was electrical. could the alternator just be going bad because when i turn it on and check the volts im getting about 11.4 not started then about 12.4 when i do

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.